Question on POV

iVillage Member
Question on POV
Wed, 02-07-2007 - 1:09pm

It's been a while since I have visited the board because my life has been crazy. I wrote a bit of my novel lately. It is slowly evolving and the plot just seemes to come to me as I write

I had a question regarding the point of view. I want to write the novel in first person. I seem to be better at it and when I type I automatically start typing in first person. Is it possible to write a novel where I rotate through several different major characters and write in the first person for all? So far there are about 8 or so major characters. Will this be totally taboo or is it acceptable?

I remember a lesson covering this but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated!

I promise to update you once I finally get a final draft complete. I am just writing as things to come to and right now it's basically just my thoughts and things I want to accomplish that I am recording. I don't have any formal chapters yet lol.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-07-2007 - 7:05pm
Hi,
I know that I've read novels written in first person for all the main characters, but not with eight. I don't know if that would be confusing or not. I guess if each character's voice was really distinctive and you used chapter breaks to make the switch it might be interesting. I think the prospect would intimidate me - - but I'm getting old:) I suppose I'd try and think how the reader would feel. Would that many characters sharing POV be frustrating or not? This is a hard question. I struggle a bit with POV anyway. I'm curious to see what others think.
Later,
Amy
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-07-2007 - 7:58pm

I hope this helps.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 8:49am

Great to see you again, Christine.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 9:15am

HI,
This article was helpful. I have trouble with representational vs. presentational POV when writing in Third person - - or switching from limited third to omniscient and back again. At least, I think that's what I'm having trouble with:) I think you were the person who helped me with my story, "Liberated Women" and that was something I did repeatedly.

Writing is so much harder than people think, isn't it?

Thanks again,
Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 10:59am
The article was put together primarily by Lynda and Eleyne. I think they did an outstanding job. I don't remember your work but if it's been a few years, I may have helped. My life has been chaotic in the three years and especially the last six months so I may have forgotten some things. Any how, I'm glad it helped and don't hestitate to ask if you have more questions.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 11:05am
Actually I read a book on Batman few years ago in First person and the way the author did it was denote that in Chapter one you're in the role as Alfred, Chapter two in the role of Robin, etc... so it is possible.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 11:16am

Hi, Christine, and welcome back.

Lynda and Faith gave you some good advice, which I really can't add much too, except present my personal opinion.

I don't care for multiple POVs in a single scene. It's distracting to me to have to take a few seconds to figure out whose mind I am in. I have less of a problem with POV shifts with scene shifts or chapter shifts. A lot of my fave authors do this.

That said, I cannot recall any authors who have done multiple FIRST person POV novels. Or even a mix of first and third. If I have read anything like that, they did it so well it was unnoticeable. LOL.

I think that the voice issue would be a huge drawback with a multiple first POV. Its hard enough getting different voices for primary characters in any novel, but to have a number of first person narrators within a single work demands a lot of care, etc. It might work for literary novels (I think I have read something about this recently) but I think it would be very difficult to pull off well.

Do write your first draft in the manner which is most comfortable for you and then make your decision when you go backnning to do the revisions and rewrites. At the begining, the most important job is to get the first draft down on paper.

Keep up posted on your progress.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 1:01pm

Thanks for the reply!!

I think I scared a bunch of you when I said I would be doing first person limited with about 8 characters. I know that I want to get in the minds of at least two characters and do those in first person. There would be chapter breaks between and it will be several chapters with one person's perspective and then a new character is introduced.

I have a hero and a heroine whose lives will be the main focus of the first book. There are several other major characters as well and I am too early in the book to really number them all.

I think I will take the advice to get the first draft over with and then worry about pov later when I am rewriting. At least this will force me to pay very close attention. I hope that I can pull this off because I do a lot better writing in 1st person verses anything else.

It may be awhile before I am ready to post anything for you to view. Right now it’s a jumble of ideas that I am scrabbling to get written down before I forget it all. I have a very vague idea of where this book is taking me, but it’s better than the view of it I had just last week!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 8:05pm

Hi,
Sorry. It was not you - - it was Eleyne:( Oops. I'm new on the boards and am getting mixed up:)
Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 8:34pm

No problem.

Pages