Considering donor..advice please

iVillage Member
Considering donor..advice please
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 11:07pm

So, it's been YEARS since I've been on here...I was on the TTC site for a long time. I now have a 4 year old daughter who we have called our "miracle child" at times....a failed IVF resulted in her being our gift! My dh has a very low sperm count and we are trying again and I know that we can't go through what we did before medically because our insurance changed and financials don't allow for it this time. So it hit me today, donor sperm! We had considered it before and am just looking into it now! I thought I would come back to the boards to see what everyone has to say about this! My fear is, I want my 2nd to resemble my first..how do you choose a donor? Can you see pics and all that? Any and all advice appreciated!
Thanks!

Lilypie Baby Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 10:32am

Welcome to the donor board. I do not have first hand experience with donor sperm but a lot of women here can help you. All clinics have different processes but most places provide profiles of their donors and some provide pictures. Some clinics do the picking for you (still your final choice but they provide the choices) and some clinics have websites that you choose from, it just depends on their process. Do you already have a clinic you like and do they use donors?

Good luck...we're here if you have questions.

Carolyn

TTC #1 since 2005
IUI #1 - chem. pregnancy, IUI #2 - BFN
5/2007 -BFP naturally, m/c 6/07
IUI #3 - BFN, IVF#1 canceled-IUI #4 & IUI #5 -BFN
ET 12/4 - Ectopic. Waiting for levels to go down.

Carolyn

Too many IUI’s, IVF’s and failed attempts to count.

TTC #1 since 2005
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 10:29pm

Hi Kate and welcome to the donor board.

~Christine~

TTC since 6/2007. 
IVF #1 Jan 2009 - BFN
IVF# 2  April 2009 - BFN
IVF# 3 July

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 12:52pm

My DH also has low sperm count w/ low motility too. We are going to use a known donor as the costs for the frozen stuff seems crazy to me. This will be our first cycle w/ donor boy if I can figure out when the heck I ovulate.

If your eggies work well, Northwest Cryobank will ship sperm to your home and you can do at home insems and save the cost of the IUI's at the Dr's.

GL with

Victoria

TTC/Not preventing since Jan of 09

Moving onto k

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 9:15pm

Hi Kate

My DH and I are going to be using DI too due to his guys not having the enzyme they need to break thru the egg. I have talked with the nurses at my office and they also recommend California Cryobank. Like someone said earlier they have pictures of the donors when they were babies so you could possibly see some similarities to your other child. They also will to Comparison matching- you can pick a couple of donors and then give them a picture of your DH and they will tell you which donor resembles your husband the most.

One thing my RE's nurse warned us about was that some of the sperm clinics don't follow all of the national standards and also don't always have the amount of semen they like to have. Our clinic wants one milliliter of sperm in a vial and some clinics only give you 0.5 ml. For the price you have to pay you should definitely get the full mL. I didn't know this until about one week ago and so we actually need to find another donor. It is an intense process!

Good Luck on your journey. My appt with

Aleta
TTC #1 since 2005
IUI Spring 2010

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 2:59pm

Hi Kate! It's been awhile since I've been on the boards too- TTC for about 2 years now using donor sperm. It's not an easy process, and choosing a donor can be difficult! We've

Tracie, proud 1st time Mommy to Jake! "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future" - Oscar Wilde