Introduction and Hello

iVillage Member
Introduction and Hello
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 11:20am

Hi all. I have been lurking here for almost three years as I have tried to get PG with number 2. My first child is five, and we have been TTC with donor sperm (15 IUIs) one IVF and a donor embie transfer

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 1:44pm

Good luck to you, Krista. I did IVF with an egg donor at age 45. It worked beautifully and we have a wonderful little girl. My second attempt at age 47 did not work -- and so, we are done. However, we are now going through the process to be certified foster parents, so who knows what the future holds?

I should tell you, I thought giving birth at age 46 would automatically brand me as someone who underwent IVF, but nobody suspected this was anything but a natural birth late in life. People just said, "Congratulations!" and "My grandmother had three kids in her forties!" We told our immediate families the truth, and, of course, the child will know. But it's nobody else's business.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 1:59pm

Hi Krista and welcome to the board.

~Christine~

TTC since 6/2007. 
IVF #1 Jan 2009 - BFN
IVF# 2  April 2009 - BFN
IVF# 3 July

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 5:39pm

Best of luck on your cycle!

Powered by
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 8:56pm

Hi Krista:

I am so sorry to hear about your long, hard road. I am the other frozen oocyte recipient that Spencer mentioned. I am 41 and currently 19 weeks pg with frozen donor egg twin boys. This is my second donor cycle, the first one with fresh eggs resulted in a m/c at 8 weeks. We decided to do the frozen cycle because we liked the donor and were in the same pilot program as Spencer at SG. I really didn't think we would be successful and was mentally planning the next cycle when we got lucky.

We used the frozen eggs and DH's sperm which was frozen and stored at SG. One of the nice things about a frozen cycle is there is no worrying about how the donor will do. I knew I was getting 6 eggs. I also knew from Spencer's experience that only 50% would fertilize which is exactly what happened. SG only allows proven donors into their frozen oocyte program and although my DH has had 2 testicular surgeries, he has a teenager and SG would not allow us to try donor sperm because they felt his samples looked fine. Also nice was the planned thaw date that we were able to arrange for convienience since we also live 8 hours away.

We transferred 2 embies for a day 3 transfer; a 4 cell and an 8 cell. We almost added in our third embryo but DH balked. Probably good in retrospect. I was surprised with a + hpt on day 7. I never thought we would have twins, especially since our third embie did not make it to freeze. My RE mentioned that he feels the reason frozen oocytes do so well is that the vitrification process seems to make them more robust. I'm not sure of the reason but I'm thrilled that it worked for us.

Welcome to the board and please don't hesitate to ask us questions. Our Meds were a bit different; bcps, delestrogen, PIO and baby aspirin... But the basic premise is the same.
Best wishes,
Gabrielle

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 10:15pm

Krista,

Welcome to our board.

jhscalis@wisc.edu

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 12:19pm
thanks Layla. How old is your daughter now, btw? I think being foster parents has to be one of the most demanding (and rewarding)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 12:34pm
Thanks for the info and your support, Christine and good luck to you -- wishing you a HHNM and sending some very sticky baby dust your way.
Photobucket

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 12:53pm
Thanks for the info and baby dust, Spencer. 50% success in the thaw is not bad -- esp since I have 13 to start with. Now I know more than I did yesterday and am feeling hopeful. Not too hopeful, mind you...and I have certainly prepared myself that it may not work. I will KYP.
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 1:25pm
My daughter is 21 months old, and keeps us both hopping. She is the light of our lives. I thank God for her every day.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 10:18am

Thanks Gabrielle. Your information helped a lot. I am anxious that it won't work, but getting to where I can deal with that -- or have gotten past it since DS in now five and I am in the process of moving past the baby stage.

Was your cycle longer than normal when you did the frozen egg cycle? I am normally a perfect 28, but here I am at day 18, having a U/S on day 22 and have not heard anything about my eggs....

if you aren't insane when you start this, you surely will be when you're done!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages