I'm new here, too

iVillage Member
I'm new here, too
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 6:50pm

hi,
I've been over on the TTC over 40 board and am about to give up. We just did our one and only IVF attempt and I had zero follicles! Giving it to friday, but I'm ready to move on to this donor egg idea. I see the writing on the wall. The doctor didn't lie -- I'm out of eggs.

So, here I am. Just typing this message is making me feel slightly better. I'm a little scared of the whole thing, but hope that I'll just have a child soon.

How long does the process typically take? Do you look at a book? I really don't know anything.... just need some people to chat with and get some support!

all the best,
martha

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 8:34am

Welcome Martha!

There are many ways you can choose an egg donor. Some people use agencies, other use REs with their own donor pool, some use family or friends who agree to donate and a small group advertise directly on boards like Craig's list and in college newspapers. I also agree that Having your baby through Egg Donation is a great resource and place to get started.

I ended up using the Shared Risk program at Shady Grove in MD which is an RE group with their own donor pool. I found that agencies were expensive to deal with and I liked the idea of a medically screened donor pool. I also liked that SG allowed you to pick your donor off a list (some clinics match you with someone so you don't get to choose other than a list of attributes) and they had proven donors.

Like you, I had an IVF cycle that was unsuccessful previously. I had 10 eggs and only 2 fertilized with very poor quality eggs, a BFN. I saw

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 10:22pm

Welcome!

First off, I recommend Having Your Baby Through Egg Donation as a good resource.

Our process went amazingly fast.