Insurance covering part of DE cycle?

iVillage Member
Insurance covering part of DE cycle?
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 10:40am

Hi there - I am a longtime ivillage friend but new to this board.

My husband and I adopted a beautiful little girl almost 3 years ago and now we are looking to expand our family.

We actually are part of the few people I know with really great health insurance.

We have one IVF cycle on our insurance that we could take advantage of, where the out of pocket would be quite minimal.

With that in mind, do you all have any guesstimates on what the other costs of a donor egg cycle might entail?

I am guessing that the fee to the egg donor is not covered and her other medical costs would come out of our pocket. What other fees are typically not covered by insurance?

Or if you have any links to where this topic is addressed, I'd greatly appreciate it! This is probably a question that everyone asks!

We really don't care about the genetics as much as having a child, and so we are trying to figure out what is more affordable for us - an egg donor cycle or a domestic adoption. With our terrific insurance, I am wondering if I should look into a donor egg situation.

Louise, proud mom through domestic open adoption
Louise, proud new mom through domestic adoption
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 1:39pm

Hi!

Powered by
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 2:22pm

Thanks so much, Spencer! All my IVF knowledge is slowly coming back to me, LOL. It's funny how I have selectively forgotten some of this stuff after a long break.

Re: donor expenses, 15k is kinda what I had mentally been thinking about as well, since our insurance is good.... I haven't called our old clinic yet, just kind of sorting this out in my own mind first :-)

We still have a current home study so we are still considering domestic adoption pretty strongly, where the costs range from 15-40k, depending on all kinds of issues. :-)

When we went through our first IVF cycle a few years ago, I only produced 2 eggs, and they weren't great quality, so donor eggs would be my only option if we look at IVF again.

I have also had some friends do a donor cycle in South Africa, but I have no idea how much that even begins to cost?! :-) Has anyone here gone to South Africa for eggs? :-) Apparently the costs over there are minimal, but then you actually have to GET to SA, which sounds expensive and time consuming :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 4:53pm

That's interesting!

I had heard about people using Indian women (as in the country India) for surrogates, but not donor cycles in SA!