in IVF cycle with Egg Donor

iVillage Member
in IVF cycle with Egg Donor
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 2:36pm

Hi, we have decide to try with an Egg Donor. We have 1 dd from my egg through IVF. It was very hard to get the egg that turned into dd #1. We decided to try again and went through two canceled cycles then we got 8 eggs from me. I thought we hit the jack pot. None of the eggs fertilized.

So we are trying for the first time with an Egg Donor. I am dedicated to it. I think it is the right choice for us and the best chance for us and for hopefully future kiddo.

What I am worried about is how the kiddo will feel. I had a room mate in college who was adopted and she totally had a difficult time. If the Egg Donor would answer more questions, what should I ask her. For the (hopefully) kiddo want to know? Like if a girl when did period start? Are there stretch marks on the bio grandma from childbirth.... I don't know just little stuff that helps people feel connected to there roots.

Any thoughts on this? I would love to hear advice. Thank you.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 3:40pm

Maybe a little medical and personal history would help?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 11:10pm

I think the choice about if, when and how to dosclose makes a big difference in how the child reacts overll.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 6:23pm

I agree that medical information is important because it will always be something you need to know and eventually the child will need to know when going through any illness or just visiting the doctor. I think knowing about the donor's background is good -where did they grow up? do they like music? or are they logical or creative thinkers? you know so you can understand your child's abilities and struggles. I also think knowing too much can be a bad thing so I don't know that I would get into too much detail because this child will still be raised by you and will "inherit" a lot of your likes and dislikes because of what you introduce them to.

I hope this helps and welcome to the donor group!

Carolyn

TTC #1 since 2005
3 miscarriages and too many BFN's

Carolyn

Too many IUI’s, IVF’s and failed attempts to count.

TTC #1 since 2005