iVillage Member
Ask Questions about DS Here!
Sat, 12-01-2007 - 7:44pm
Ask away...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-02-2007 - 12:22am

hi,

i just saw this board and had some questions to ask.

my husband and i are in the process of adopting an older child from foster care. there is a sibling group we are requesting more information on, and the younger boy is 7 and has ds. we know he has language delays, doesnt respond verbally unless he wants too, is quite small for his age, and is described as a toddler. does this seem common of a child with ds? we are hoping to get more information on the boys soon, but in the meantime dh and i have been looking online for good info and it seems few and far between.

any information would be great.

tia

*Anya, mama to 5 darling kiddos*

visit my blog:

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-02-2007 - 7:08pm

Hello! I wish I had more information for you, but my little guy with DS is only 6 months old, and I don't have much experience with seven year olds in general.

However, most kids with DS are very small - right from babies to adulthood. Language delays are very common, however I do know lots of kids with DS who speak very well. There seems to be quite a large range in that area, and it depends a lot on how much Speech Therapy they have.

I hope a parent with an older child with DS can be more specific - I do know that our children are much more like typical children there own age than not.

Good Luck! I hope someone can give you a better answer soon.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2007 - 12:04am

wow....our stories sound very familiar.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2007 - 1:14am

It's been my experience that kids with down's are as different from one another as typical kids are.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-05-2007 - 8:02am
Hi Tia:)CL-Spencer asked me to pop on over and check out your posts.My name's Lyn and I have an 18 yr old named Danny who happens to have DS.To answer your questions..DS persons tend to be smaller in stature as a rule.Danny's only 5'6" where his brothers are all 6' and above.Person's with DS can sometimes have thyroid issues which can affect growth so it would be a good idea to have his thyroid function checked.Also if there are any other health issues this can also affect growth but like with any other child his bio- parents may be smaller in stature themselves.Now I've seen a few who have reached 6' but their parents were very tall.Danny is not very verbal and they've never found a reason for it so he uses a communication board since he's refused to learn sign language..lol..he's hardheaded and he will ignore you with a smirk on his face to boot.His language level is that of a 2yr old but he's extremely high functioning so they use computer programs instead of books with him and he does well.Danny has problems with fluid in his ears and has had 3 sets of tubes but his hearing comes and goes which does have an impact on speech developement so that would be something to have checked as well.You should also take into account his circumstances with being in foster care,these guys need a lot of love,patience and encouragement to reach their full potential and you may find with time he just needs the stability of a family to really bloom .I will tell you that while no parent ever wishes this on their child there are far worse things than DS in the world.I was 21 when I had him and at that time they were still mentioning institutionalization which is something that never even crossed my mind.Danny is well liked by his peers and I have no doubt that as an adult he will do as well as he did as a child.He works 3 days a week at Walmart thru his work study and his teachers are very impressed by his work habits.He's very independent as I made it a point to raise him that way..He cooks,cleans,does his own laundry,etc.He's also a video game whiz and has a wicked sense of humor..lol.The joys far outweigh the challenges:)Here's a few web links to some good association on DS http://www.nads.org/ and http://www.ndss.org/ .If you have any other questions feel free to email me and I will answer as best I can:)Lyn
Photobucket