my little guy has severe gas since a.m!!

iVillage Member
my little guy has severe gas since a.m!!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:08pm
I am going crazy with upset! My 4 mnth DS has been screaming off & on since 6 a.m. today. He is finally asleep in my sling, but will soon wake up and scream!!!! I know it is gas because I hear it in his tummy and he strains & pushes. He has never been like this!!! My diet is very bland so that can't be it. It MAY be (and I think this is it) that I switched nipples to a higher flow, just yesterday. I use Avent and I just switched from 3 hole nipples to 4 hole. He downs the milk so much quicker. Do you think this could be it? I am burping him more but am almost in tears listening to him in such pain. When will this end? I don't know what to do, the house is a mess and I don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dinner is a write off, no way no time to make that!!!!! I want my smilely guy back. Do babies outgrow gas fits? Thanks for letting me vent and any $.02 would be welcome. Ariel & Luke
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:13pm
I think it definitely could be the nipple switch.

Maybe he's gulping too much air now with the faster flow nipple. Were you having problems with the slower-flow nipples? If not, I'd switch back and see if that helps.

In the meantime, a little tummy massage (but geeze, I can't remember which direction -- Ailsa posted about this a day or so ago, and my DH knows which way...) helps tons!

Allison

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:25pm
I'm sorry he's not feeling well! The gas drops at the grocery store (mycelon? or Gerber makes some too) do work! Also, you can massage his tummy in a clockwise direction, or help him make a bicycle motion with his legs. Also, my babies like to lay face down with their bottoms in the crook of my arm and their face near my hand, so that their weight against my arm puts gentle pressure on their tummy.

Is it possible that its not the gas you hear making him uncomfortable? Perhaps he's beginning to teeth? My girls started drooling and teething at about 4 months, even though they didnt cut their first tooth until several weeks later. Orajel, or some tylenol helped them relax.

I hope he feels better soon!

Meredith,

EPing for Aislinn & Abigail (10 weeks)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:30pm
Thanks for your quick reply Allison! There wasn't any problems with the three hole. Selfish me just wanted him to drink faster, more milk and put on more weight!! He actually is great for weight (50th percentile, 14.5 pds) but he was born preemie at 3pds 14oz and I am obssessed with weight gain. Ahh time to relax a bit over this issue. Our ped says he is no longer a preemie as his length is at the 75th percentile as well. I will switch back to 3 hole and see what happens. Thanks for caring enough to help me. Take care, Ariel & Luke, currently chock-full o'toots!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:35pm
Meredith, you are sweet and helpful!!! You gave me some great ideas, I am desperate to try all these at this point. I will check his mouth for the next little while. How exciting if teething was the case!! (this is our first) You expert mommies are the best! Quick, precise and efficient!! I'm due 2 pump, I better get this little time-bomb out of my sling!!! Bye for now & thanks again!! Ariel & Luke
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:34pm
Agreeing with Allison: Hannah is still on a #2 Avent nipple. When I called to ask when to switch her up to a faster one, they said that if she is taking longer than 15 to 20 minutes to drink a bottle, then you need a faster one. 4 months seems very young to be on such a fast nipple.

Good luck

Ailsa & Hannah

PS Clockwise tummy rubs may help get rid of that gas in the mean time.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:24pm
Thanks Ailsa!! Luke is already seeming a little calmer (a little!) I switched back to a lower flow. Mommy needs to learn patience!! Thanks for the tummy trick!!! Ariel & Luke