For those with kids in daycare...(m)

iVillage Member
For those with kids in daycare...(m)
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:31pm
Hi ladies,

Little Elijah will be starting daycare April 14th, and I'm trying to prepare myself. Of course I'm completely dreading it emotionally, so any advice on how to not break down daily when I drop him off would get great. But, my real question is about how your daycare give your little ones their milk. Mine asks that I prepare his bottles ahead of time. Right now, we just have a bottle of fresh milk around at all times and he just eats however much he wants whenever he wants. If it's been a couple hours, he usually eats a couple ounces. If it's been longer, he may have a little more, but he's never had more than 3.5 ounces at a time. If I have to use refrigerated milk, I store it in a larger bottle and just pour what I think he'll eat into a small bottle and heat that up. At daycare, they'll have to give him refrigerated milk. If I have to prepare bottles with a certain amount, I'm afraid milk will go to waste if it's more than he wants (since the re-heated milk is only good for an hour, from what I hear). Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!!

(btw, this new format is strange!)

Carole and Elijah (5 wks)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:52pm
I would make lots of smaller bottles. If he wants more, they can always get a second bottle. It's difficult judging what to give to daycare when they haven't found a schedule yet. I'm sure that lots of milk went to waste at Hannah's daycare, even though they always said she drank everything. You may find that he does develop some kind of regular intake on the days he is at daycare though. Hannah now eats differently on the days she is in daycare.

I hated taking her, guilt trip etc. but now when I see her at daycare, I realise that spending time with other adults and the other kids has taught her to have confidence that she can have a good time somewhere other than home and with someone other than mommy. It's just step one on the lifelong process of letting them go, I'm afraid.

Good luck

Ailsa & Hannah

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:50pm
My DS has been in daycare for 3 weeks now (he's 9 weeks old). I thought I'd have a hard time leaving him, but I am sooo comfortable with the facility we found. The first day, I walked him around the facility to familiarize us both with it and I watched how the caretakers interact with the other babies. I also stop by every day at lunch and drop him off the "lunch" I pumped him at work. I highly recommend spending a little extra time there when you drop your baby off and try to drop by during the day (preferably unannounced) so you can check up on things. It's worked for me. And it's nice to have a little time away from my DS, although I certainly can't wait to pick him up at the end of the day!!

I worried about wasted milk, too. My DS drinks about 3-5 oz in a feeding, so I err on the 3 oz side and just make up more bottles. My daycare will use an unfinished bottle if it's within a few hours so he'll usually be able to finish all of the milk. And they'll supplement with formula (per my agreement) if he runs out of breastmilk.

HTH!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 4:22pm
In my situation we have had to do the same as what you say the daycare is asking you to do. But, warmed up milk will last longer than 1 hour, you'll have to tell the daycare people how long you recommend.

Also, start by sending 54-5 bottles with about 3-4 ounces each and they should keep a detailed list of how much he is eating each time so you will know when to increase supply. We have increased teh bottles to 5 ounces a piece and my son drinks 4 of those each day between 8-5.

Good luck!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:42pm
I agree with the others. I erred on the side of small bottles, brought one bottle more than I thought Connor would take, and kept a can of formula there for emergencies.

Good luck!

Susan and Connor

(14 1/2 months)