Vitamins = asthma???

iVillage Member
Vitamins = asthma???
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 12:19am
I was doing a search on vitamin supplements on the web...my doc suggested I started giving DS tri-vi-sol (?) because BM doesnt provide enough vitamin D. Ive only been giving it to him twice a week. I have read at a few sites that research is showing that vitamin supplements can cause asthma and allergies. How crazy is that?!? Asthma runs in both mine and my DH's family, so I know my son has a really good chance of inheriting it. I am so freaked out about the supplements...I feel like I have totally doomed DS with asthma now!! Does anyone know anything about this? Should I keep up with the supplements or stop? I really dont know what to do...this sucks!!
I think the vitamins are important, I want him to be healthy and have a good immune system. What do you think? TIA
Dana & Cole 12-27-04
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 7:28am

I've never heard of that connection either.

Image hosted by Ladybug Invitations

babies
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 8:59am

I've never heard of it either. My pedi knows that my SO and I both have a history of asthma and DD is susceptible to it because of her reflux. He prescribed Poly Vi Sol drops starting at 2 weeks old. Maybe Poly Vi Sol doesn't have the same bad effects? My SIL gives her baby Tri Vi Sol and she is 6 mos old now and breathes just fine. I'd ask your pedi about it, but it kinda sounds quacky to me that ped's would prescribe something for ALL infants and yet they know it causes asthma? I wouldn't think so. JMO though.

Jackie and Emily 01/30/05

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 10:27am

I found that article in case anyone was interested. I really just wanted to reread it to make sure I wasnt crazy or something. Is there some reason why my ped. would recommend something that may cause asthma? She knows that DH and I have a history of it. I also read an article on how Omega-3 fatty acids can help to prevent asthma in children but who gives THAT to an infant?!? Well, if youd like to read it go to:

www.mercola.com/2004/jul/21/vitamin_infants.htm for the article on vitamins causing asthma and/or:

www.wizardofvitamins.com/science/concerns/asthma.asp for an interesting article on how vitamins effect asthma and allergies and/or:

www.discount-vitamins-herbs.net/health-news14.htm for the article on Omega-3 and children

Dana & Cole 12-27-04