Does your baby take vit supplement?

iVillage Member
Does your baby take vit supplement?
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 10:45pm

Hi everyone!!

Our ped never put Cooper on a vitamin supplement, he said he didn't need one. He didnt' do a test or anything, I guess he just looked at me and decided I was "purty" healthy looking myself. LOL! I was just curious, how many of the other babies are taking one. And, did you ped prescribe or suggest it or did you decide on it yourself?

TIA!

Corky~

Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 11:30pm
Our ped suggested it at our 4 month appt due to the new AAP policy to start supplementing if breastfeeding for the Vitamin D and because our little dd is dark skinned. I still wonder how 'necessary' it is so I'm going to slow it a bit and give supplements only 3x/wk, rather than everyday. We make sure to take her out in the sun almost every other day so lots of vitamin D there!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-07-2005 - 11:37pm

Never prescribed one ... bought TriViSol after feeling guilty reading a post like this one where everyone said theu needed to get Vitamin D ... but haven't given it to her yet as I am afraid without talking to ped firt - appt. is next week for 6 month well check-up so I am waiting.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 7:24am
My ped recommended it at his 2nd or 4th month. I gave it at first then Dakoda developed eczema. I stopped giving it to him and treated the eczema with creme. It went away and I still haven't given the vitamins to him. I don't think he really needs it if he is getting the BM. BM is supposed to have all the right nutrients and stuff so I figure I did okay without vitamins and so did my mom and grandma, etc.

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosting by Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 9:53am

I asked our ped about it at Logan's 4 month appt since I was concerned about the new AAP recommendations for supplementing vit D. She said she wasn't concerned and that I didn't need to supplement (of course, if I wanted to, no harm done). She said the main worry was for dark skinned babies in big cities that may not get much sunlight. We live in a very rural area - not much to block the sun around here! We decided not to supplement - DS is growing fine and healthy as can be.

Carrie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 10:22am

We are not giving vitamins to Seaghan at this point. When I asked if Aidan needed them when he was 6 mos. old, he said that since he ate a lot of cereal (in EBM/FF, esp.) he would be getting enough iron, which was originally the reason for vitamins (Aidan is 3). Now, with the vitamin D recommendation, I don't know. Seaghan is fair...Aidan has his dad's Asian skin tone, and he tans nicely, so if anyone needed it, it would be him. He does take his Scooby-Doo plus calcium (started at around 10-12 mos. 1/2 of a vitamin, per ped) and now a calcium chew. Both are due to dietary limitations due to allergies, though.

Tonya
Aidan 12.27.01
Seaghan 10.12.04

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 11:52am

Hi again Corky,

This is a topic I keep going back and forth on. Our ped recommended the Tri Vi Sol at Nicky's 1 month appt. So, we gave it to him for a couple months (mixed it in with a few ounces of bm). He took it no problem. Then I started reading posts saying that as long as the babies get 20 minutes of sunlight a week, the Vit D isn't an issue. I live in Florida so no shortage of sunlight here! So, I stopped giving it. Recently, after the AAP revised their guidelines and after our 4 month checkup and the ped asked if he was getting it (and I lied and said yes!), I started feeling guilty and thinking he should get it. So, we started again. Now, once again, I read that others aren't giving it so I'm questioning it. Incidentally, we tend to see 2 different peds. Its always the same one that brings up the vitamin. The other one never says anything. So, I think at the 6 month visit I am going to ask the other one (who I like better) if its necessary. The ped that I like also said to hold off on solids until he is 6 months since he is thriving on MM (that made me feel good). It also might be because Nicky has eczema so potentially there could be allergies.

Just wanted to let you know, I am in the same boat. I guess it can't hurt, but I don't like to give them anything unless its necessary, you know?

Christina
EPing for Nicky 11/6/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 1:04pm
The Ped recommended vitamin supplements at Walker's 2 week appointment - I think mostly for preventative since he is triving etc. Funny thing, he has been refluxing at night since then. A couple days this week I didnt give the supplement and he was fine at night (no two hours of screaming before bed). I am still trying to get the Ped and the Pharmacy to sort out the trouble with the Zantac prescription but in the meantime, no more vitamins! They stink anyway - I wouldn't take them.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 5:23pm

Our ped put Noah on a Vitamin D/Flouride supplement at 4 mos.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 8:32pm

My ped recommended the vitamin supplements at Sonia's 4 month, and was giving it everyday for past month. Now, I'm thinking of stopping, maybe give it once or twice a week, but I seriously don't think she really 'needs' it. We live in CA and she gets LOTS of sun, plus I never took prenatals when I was pregnant (except for folic acid) and my babe is healthy as a horse. She's thriving and eating so well, I don't think it's needed. SHe does have eczema too but she had it before vitamins and pretty common. Still, don't want to give her something that is really not necessary.

If anything, giving the vitamin drops was a nice precursor to getting her ready for the spoon feedings..she loves opening her mouth real big when she sees her cereal coming :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 9:37pm

I guess I must be different from everyone else. In Canada, the recommendation is to give it. We have very cold winters and don't go out much. Our winters are long too and our summers are so short that sunshine and the outdoors aren't really something we enjoy a lot.

I never got a prescription from my ped or family doctor for the vitamin. I knew all about it since I am a nurse on a Maternity ward. I started giving the vitamin to Alex as soon as we came home and have been for the past 9 1/2 months. I only give him the vitamin D supplement, not the Trivisol or Polysol. I think it smells nice (like red licorice) and Alex doesn't mind taking it at all (then again, I think med wise, that kid would take anything! He just gulps down his Zantac too *yuck!!!*). My reasoning for giving it to him is that it is only a vitamin and it can't hurt to give it to him. If my milk is lacking it, I'd much ratter supplement and not take a chance than to wait out any possible outcome.

I don't know why this is such a big issue with everyone. I am not meaning this in a bad way. It's just that I see a lot of post about vitamins. I know too much of a good thing isn't really better but I figure vitamins are not like meds in the sense that they aren't usually prescribed to heal a condition but more to prevent one so.... Why is everyone so hesitant to use it???? What are you affraid of?? (just wondering if I am missing the boat on anything here, not trying to be a brown nose *s*)

Celine, mom to Alex born June 30th, 2004

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.compregnancy

Pages