using a PIS from day one

iVillage Member
using a PIS from day one
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:57pm
You moms have been more then helpful, and I hope I am not becoming a burden but I am curious if I can use a PIS from day one instead of renting a lactinia or other hospital grade pump at all. I plan to beging pumping immediatly after my sons birth. I have done alot of research as well as gotten some of your opinions and I do beleive I will get a PIS for my personal use at home. Is this pump strong enough to make my milk come in after Adam is born or will it be a must that I rent the lactina from the hospital? I would just like to save the $60.00 rental fee for that first month especially if I have just spent a fortune on the PIS. Also are the newer models of the PIS way better then older ones? If I can get a lightly used older one (like 1997 or 98 model) will I be getting something that has been seriously upgraded since then, or has the pump pretty much remained the same as far as sucks oer minute, and strength etc? please help again

alison

alerri@aol.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:32pm
Yes! Several of us have used a PIS from day 1. (Or at least day 2 or 3!) And many of us have depended on used pumps, as well. I'm not really sure of the difference between a new PIS and the older models you described. I would think they would be sufficient.

Susan and Connor (14 1/2 months)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:39am
I used a PIS from day 2 and it has worked just fine. I used the hospital one while I was admitted and then went home and used my PIS. I have pumped 4 months now and still going strong. I don't know about the older models questions however, sorry. Good luck pumping.

Michelle & Brianna 16 w

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:20am
I have used my PIS since son was 2 days old. Was told by LC at hospital didn't think would be strong enough for milk to come in, but I have not had any problems w/ this. I get more than enough to feed by DS who is now 8 1/2 weeks old. You shouldn't have problem w/ PIS. I don't know about older models. Wish you all the luck. Happy Pumping!

Nickie & Hunter

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:58pm
I bought a PIS in 1997 second-hand from a friend who used it for her two boys, AND she had bought it from a friend who had used it for her 3 boys. They both just used it occasionally, and I used it occasionally for my first two daughters. I have been pumping from day 1 for my twins, since they were born at 35 weeks and were in the NICU for 6 and 8 days each. They are 10 weeks now and I have had no problems with my pump (or my supply). Since I have decided to EP, a friend loaned me her pump (just so I'd have two for more versatility) and its a newer PIS. The only difference is that it has a speed control, whereas my older one doesnt. I dont really use that function, since I'm used to my old one. So I dont think it makes a difference between the models, if you can get a deal!

HTH!

-Meredith EPing for Aislinn and Abigail (10 weeks)

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:16am
Don't feel bad about asking questions. Many moms used PIS from day 1 and it's just fine. I've heard of people needing the hospital grade rental ones. It depends if the speed and suction selections are strong enough for you. (now don't go turning it up too high!) But I say have the rental info ready so in case when you start pumping you have problems, you can try renting.

There are some places online you can get a PIS for $175-200. I don't know if that's a good price range for you. I don't know the websites right now. But I'm sure there are people who know.

Kam

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:31pm
I've got to run so can't read the replies you've gotten already. I brought my milk in with a PIS with my ds (he had lost weight still at his two week appt and so I didn't start pumping till then). I didn't really know better. I wasn't listening properly to the LC I guess because I do remember her suggesting the Lactina and I said "Oh, I've got a pump." But, this time with dd I brought it in with a Lactina and it was much faster and better. I could really tell a difference. So I recommend renting. And it seems like $60 is high for one month. I've rented for 3 months and it was much less.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 2:21pm
I have twins - mine were early too so I had to pump from the get go. I was told by several LCs that a medical grade pump is the only way to go, and that was definitely true for me. I have a PIS which hardly ever gets used (bought it used from a friend). My PIS is a POS compared with the Lactina ;-)

But clearly that's not the case for everybody - all boobs are not created equal.

I rented a Lactina from the hospital early on - you are getting off lightly at $60, they charged me $120!!! After I got ripped off for a couple of months, I found somebody in town who rents medical grade pumps - I rent a Lactina from her at $31/month now. Am very happy with current situation - have been pumping for almost 10mos now!

My 2c -- look for somebody else to rent from if you want the Lactina - I'm sure you can find a better deal than the hospital.

Jane pumping for Saskia & Ellisif (almost 10mos!!!)