THRUSH!!! NEED HELP!

iVillage Member
THRUSH!!! NEED HELP!
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:53pm
My son and I have thrush! We have had it for a while now, it was going away but now it seems to be back! It is really hard when you are pumping since you have to give the freshest milk etc so that the yeast doesn't grow and cause the infection to be worse. Anyhow I think we are passing it back and forth, I still am trying to nurse him at the breast. So the LC told us to try gentian violet. I am going for it tonight. Do any of you have experience with thrush and EPing? What can I do to get rid of this nasty stuff? It really is getting old!

Thanks,

Megan and Rylee

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:54pm
I posted this in the wrong spot!! Sorry, tired Mommy brain!

Megan

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 4:00pm
First, you might want to have your ped check your child for thrush because he/she will need to be treated if they have it. You also need to see your obgyn and he/she will probably prescribe Nystatin or some other antifungal medication. Also, you might try washing your nipples and all pump parts in a water/vinegar solution; never wear your bra two days in a row without washing and airdry your nipples if possible.

Good Luck.

Margaret

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:39pm
I know how you are feeling. We also had to deal with thrush. I took dd to the ped and he prescribed her nystatin drops for her mouth and told me to put canestin on her bum. I never did go to the doctor to see if I had it for sure though. However my nipples were extremely sore. The ped told me to put the canestin on the nipples and it really helped (wash off before pumping or bfing). I used the cream on me for a week and have never had problems since. DD required 4 rounds of nystatin before she was all cleared up. I also became insane in steralizing everything. I bought new soothers and nipples for her bottles as well.

Hope that is helpful.

Ashley & Alexandra (9.5 months)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:22am
see www.kellymom.com for the thrush resources. There are lots of good ideas. I've been battling thrush for over 8 weeks now. three rounds of gentian violet, one of diflucan for me, one of nystatin for dd (I think we are going to do another round of these), acidophylus, grapefruit seed extract, boiling every day and soaking in 50/50 vinegar wash, washing bras in super hot water, washing towels every day in super hot water... you name it!! Still isn't working.

Another key is low carb diet. No sugar. I think that is what brought mine back this time - cake!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:01am
Thanks for the advice. This thrush is about the most annoying thing I have ever dealt with! I am on my second round of diflucan and DS is on baby diflucan as well. I really hope it works this time. As for the diet, I think I really need to cut the sugars out, I have been dragging my feet about that part and maybe it will really help get rid of it! I think that the hardest part in all of this is that it makes my DS crankier than normal and he feeds even slower than usual. He is a very slow feeder to begin with!!!

Hope you feel better soon, 8 weeks yuck! Hang in there!

Megan

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:04am
Four rounds of nystatin, oh poor baby and poor you! Did it start to look better and then come back or did it just persist? My DS mouth started to look better and then whamo it came back. I was so bummed out.

What is canestin? The sterilizing is insane! I just picked up new nipples yesterday and I think I will replace them once a week until it is gone.

Thanks for the advice and sympathy!

Megan

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 4:52pm
Yes...just when I thought it was gone I would check a few days later and boom...there it was again. It was driving me crazy. After the last round I checked once a day and there was a few spots but they never got worse and eventually they went away. My ped said not to worry to much about it. He said that it will clear on its own in time. Hers was never really sore though so that was good.

Canesen is a yeast infection cream for women. The doctor said to use it on her bum for the yeasty rash and on my nipples if I had thrush. I kinda thought that was weird but it worked. I just washed my nipples really good before I pumped to make sure the cream was all gone.

Thrush really sucked though. I hope I never have to go through that again!!!!!

Ash