Fussy baby and pumping?

iVillage Member
Fussy baby and pumping?
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 10:29am
OK, so Ethan is 1 month old today and he is starting to get difficult. I know he is tired but he refuses to go to sleep without help- rocking or being worn. Anyway, has anyone had this problem and when the heck to do you get your pumps in? I could only do a 15 minute one this morning and I am already worried about fitting in my next one. Help! This is making formula look really tempting. I cannot believe the amount of work this is...

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 10:39am

I put DD in her swing and then sit on the floor in front of it. I pump with one hand and try to comforrt her or amuse her with the other. Oddly enough, when she is upset, she likes to suck on my finger (clean, nail side down). It isn't perfect but when you have tp pump.. it's all you can do. I would reccomend going "hands free" if you can and that way you can at least use both hands to try and comfort DS. Try laying him across your knees on his tummy and patting his back. Even with the pumps in the way it can be done and at least he will be getting physical contact. HTH

Jackie and Emily 01/30/05

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 10:56am

We went through the same thing, Cooper has never been very good at napping and I still have to hold him to get him to sleep. He's 8 months old now and we have all new pumping issues.

When

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 11:31am
I found it very difficult to pump at home. As soon as Nolan saw my bb, he would start crying, hungry or not. I found it much easier to pump at work.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 11:45am

I think the hardest time for me was 1 month until 4 months .. Ally was not good at entertaining herself and wasn't a great napper.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 4:07pm

Lulumama,

You seem very stressed today. Your posts are full of uncertainty. I think the pp had great suggestions so I'm not going to repeat the same thing. I just wanted to offer encouragement and ((((HUGS)))).

Everyone on this board has dealt with pumping and a fussy baby. That is one of the worst things about pumping. I don't know what I would have done if my DH wasn't home most of the day to help me entertain Nicky (he works at night). As it was, I would totally stress out about pumping when he wasn't home. It is a lot of work. I know exactly how you feel. But now that I'm 5 months into this, I kind of have a different perspective. All we can do is try our best. Even if you can't pump as often as you would like to, and have to supplement with formula, providing your baby with any bm is an awesome thing.

Hang in there and come to the board when you need to vent. We've all been there!

Christina
EPing for Nicky 11/6/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 9:27pm

Thanks everyone for writing but thanks Christina for your sweet post. Yeah, I am feeling a little stressed because over the past few days Ethan has become a nightmare to put to bed and his screaming is really fraying my nerves. And this whole pumping thing- I am really being hard on myself as far as supply is concerned...I don't know why. Suppplementing would not be the worst thing in the world. Sometimes I think- gee if I weren't pumping I would have more time for my BABY. But this isn't an issue yet, not until he becomes more aware of his surroundings, at least.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I needed them today.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 9:32am

Lulumama:

I know it can be very hard and seem like the sky is falling when the little ones are crying!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 9:21pm

It does get better, I swear! Robbie was the same. Once he was around 1 1/2 months or so, he would not go to sleep unless held and would usually wake up and cry if we tried to put him in his bassinette. Even now he can be a stinker about going to sleep, but it has gotten a lot better.

I usually put him in his swing or bouncy seat while pumping unless dh is home or Robbie is in bed. I hate to admit that I've had my share of pumps with Robbie crying in his swing or seat - even though I always face him towards me and talk to him. Not the ideal, but sometimes necessary.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 10:36pm

Ditto that it will get better! I remember how hard it was, and look back and think, 'wow, how was it done'.. but somehow time flies and u've made it longer to give mama's milk. With my dd, I found it easier sometimes to pump as soon as I fed her first (she seemed a lot happier after being fed), and then propped her in a boppy pillow next to me, while I sat on the ground by her. I would prop up some toys as well and use hands free bra, or just use one arm and whole hand to hold both pumps. I would do it for only 15 minutes, sometime even 10, if it got tough, but try to make up the pump next session.

It can be overwhelming, but you do have a lot of support here, and so just wanted to pass you some <> also!! This board helped me a lot and hope it can give you the same support.

xoxo
Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 2:20pm
My dd was extremely fussy and needy she has reflux so she cried 24/7 for the first 4 weeks of her life it is hard but keep with it it all works out eventually.

Pages