What do you do when...

iVillage Member
What do you do when...
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 10:58am

you're sick and need to take meds? My whole house has been sick for what seems like forever - we keep passing around the same cold. The last two nights everytime I try to lay down I start coughing uncontrolably. Last night, I had Emily in bed with me to sleep since she is sick and wakes up if I'm not touching her. I was coughing so badly that I kept waking her up (not to mention it didn't feel too good) so I went down stairs and took a cough suppresant (Tussin CF). I had just pumped before I took it and I pumped early this morning again. I'm sitting here looking at 8oz of milk that I don't want to throw out but think maybe I should since I took the meds. She's only 2 months old so if that med is in the milk it wouldn't be good for her. But I don't know... what do you all do when you get sick and have to take something? TIA!!!

Jackie and Emily 01/30/05

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 11:03am

A lot of medicines are safe during breastfeeding. You should ask your doctor what to take if you are sick. Usually the same rules apply when you are pregnant. Tussin CF is okay because I asked my doctor when I was sick. Any of the tylenol products are okay too. I would call your doctor. Get better!

Lindsay

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 12:32pm

There are many meds that are perfectly safe to take while bfing. I don't take anything unless it is necessary, but I have taken things over the past 8 months without effect.

I usually look up this chart when I'm unable to consult with my Dr. My Dr. also gave me a list of meds that are safe, but it's not this inclusive. I usually try to pump right before I take anything so that most of it can make it's way out of my system before my next pump. I have also read it's better to take short term

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 1:26pm

Here is a list of AAP approved meds while BF:

Photobucket