Eliminate both dairy and soy?

iVillage Member
Eliminate both dairy and soy?
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 8:22am
For those of you who have eliminated dairy from your diet due to baby's allery/intolerance to cow's milk, have you also avoided soy products?
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 11:14am

I did for both EP DSs, but I don't know the everyone has to. DS1 was definitely allergic, and I even avoided soy products in foods (hard to do). DS2's pediatrician says that the amounts in foods you eat (like say crackers with soy lecithin or some other soy product) pass such insignificant amounts to your baby as to be negligible, especially with the trade-off of such serious dietary and nutritional restriction. But, no, I never was able to have soy milk or anything like that; it bothered them too much.

Tonya
Aidan 12.27.01
Seaghan 10.12.04

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 6:19pm

I eliminated both - our gastroenterologists believe that 50% of babies with milk allergies also have soy allergies, and it was better to just remove them both than to try to do it one at a time since our baby was losing weight. It is hard. Soy, in some form, is in EVERYTHING that you can buy prepared. Ugh. At first I thought "no big deal - I don't eat tofu anyway..." but it turned out to be harder than eliminating dairy for me.

Bex

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 7:04pm
Bex - Thanks for your input. My next question is what do I do when I put DS on formula at 6 months? I was going to try a soy formula.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 12:41am

When you switch to FF, you have two options:

1.) Try soy and see if he has outgrown any allergy, or

2.) Use a hypoallergenic formula, such as Nutramigen or Alimentum. Very expensive, but your only real choice if your child is allergic to dairy and soy (I used it with DS1 after we weaned at 6.5 mos.)

Tonya
Seaghan 10.12.04
Aidan 12.27.01

PS if you decide to eliminate *all* traces of soy, Hogdson Mills makes pasta, crackers, etc. that basically have whole wheat, water, and negligible other ingredients, and tastes pretty good. Even health food stores have things with a lot of soy.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 10:27am

Yup - I agree with Tonya. By 6 months, a lot of babies have outgrown a lot of things, including some allergies. We managed to get a lot of free Nutramigen from our Ped, and even a free case of it by calling the formula rep that peddles his wares at our Ped's office. If the allergy is really bad, you might have to go on NeoCate, but this is Rx only - which means that you can sometime strong-arm the HMO's into picking up the tab. I posted previously about weaning baby onto this type of formula - it is not sweet at all and quite bitter to me. The advice we got was to start mixing small amounts with EBM and slowly increase until you're at 100% formula.

Tonya - how did you get DS#1 to take the Nutramigen? Did he outgrow his allergies? Was starting solids difficult?

Good luck!!

Bex

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 6:06pm

Bex,
Aidan is 3 now, and he was about 6.5 before he had very much Nutramigen. He started out with having it mixed with EBM, not in any set ratio, but more like what EBM I had w/ FF to make his 8 oz. (he was a huge eater). Eventually, as I lost more and more supply, it just naturally went that his FF was increased (he was hospitalized, and I lost supply due to stress, irregular pumping, and my own illness. I weaned because I didn't want to expose him to the meds I needed).

He has some allergies still. We tried him on cow milk at 2 years old, and he was allergic to it (diarrhea on day 4). At age 3, he can tolerate some, but he isn't a huge fan. He has been able to have dairy products since around 16 months, though. At first, just like twice a week, then 4 times, and now, I do still watch it, but it can be daily if he wants. He supplements nutritionally with green leafy vegs, juice or grains enriched with calcium, Scooby Doo vitamins plus calcium, and Flinstones calcium chews.

He has other foods he was allergic to while I was EP for him that we never have tried him on, like shellfish, but does seem to tolerate peanutbutter, and eggs, but again, not his favorite foods.

However, despite his allergies, he was a *fabulous* eater. Prior to 6 months, he would kind of nibble, but once he hit about 7 1/2 months, he was eating everything he could get. By 1, he still was eating well, meat and everything. Texture was his favorite...triscuits and mini wheats were favorite snacks. Until 1 year old, we gave him a lot of single ingredient foods and tried to be very careful. The multi-ingredient finger foods we gave him were the baby fruit chews, cheerios, some kind of cracker that was just wheat, salt & water, and bread. He was allergic to one of those wagon wheel snacks Gerber makes, but did pretty well other than that. He still *can* be a great eater, but it comes and goes in jags like a toddler/preschooler is known for. He actually started that very late, though (at around 2 1/2).

HTH,
Tonya
Seaghan 10.12.04
Aidan 12.27.01