iVillage Member
Why did you decide to exclusively pump?
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 1:26am
Just thought it would be nice to share.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 11:48am
Hi!

I decided to EP because I wanted to fed BM and BFing did not go well for us. First of all, despite attending a 3 hour BFing class before DD was born, I didn't know/remember how to BF. The hospital I gave birth at only had 1 LC on staff and it turned out she was on vacation the week I had DD. So despite being in the hospital 5 days and 3 MD written orders and numerouse requests on my part- No LC. DD lost 10% of her body weight before we were discharged. DH and MIL were convinced I was starving her and that if I would just fed formula I would know how much she is getting each fed. Well, the stress certainly set in and I did fed formula for a couple of days. I thought my milk would just dry up because I was convinced that I didn't have any. LOL It didn't and I became engorged. After lurking on this board, desparate for help but too ashamed to ask for it, I rushed ordered a PIS and have been pumping ever since.

Sorry so long.

Denise and Grace (15 weeks)

BTW, the LC did return my call(s)--- 3 weeks later

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 12:59pm

I exclusively BF my ds until he was 2 weeks old. It was painful, but I kept hearing that the pain would go away. No such luck. We went to see a LC at 2wks and she said that our latch was fine but that ds just had a particularly strong suck and often would bite down on the nipple (which would send me thru the roof!!) So she said to supplement with formula and give my nipples a rest for 24 hrs. Before talking to her I had been afraid of nipple confusion. But he has done fine going back & forth between bottle and breast. I had a medela mini-electric pump that I used. After the 24 hr rest period, I was so hesitant to go back to BFing! So I continued to pump and occassionally BF. Once I realized that there was no way I could exclusively BF, I bought a PIS. I still do BF, but usually only once a day, although sometimes I'll go days w/o BFing and other times I'll BF a couple of times/day.

jennifer

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 2:27pm
I had an emergency c-section and was very sick afterwards. My dd was brought in while I was in recovery and latched on well and breastfed. However, I couldn't look down at her to correct the positions and everything without getting nauseous and throwing up. The next two feedings were the same way, I couldn't even sit my bed up without the motion making me throw up. So, anyway, they couldn't let my dd starve so they supplemented her with formula and after that, getting her to stay latched on the breast without screaming and pulling away in frustration, was a nightmare. The ONLY LC was off for the weekend and all the nurses were telling me it was "normal" for her to act that way at the breast. Would you believe I was only getting 30min of sleep in between her feedings and I went on like that for 3 days???!!! I was a MESS!! So, the last day before I left the LC came in and witnessed it and told me it was NOT normal and the nurses should have just kept supplementing my dd with formula and then we would "re-train" her when the LC got back. By this time, I had been pumping with a Lactina after each feeding and when they would bring her back in for a feeding, I would try the breastfeeding and then give in out of frustration and give her what I had pumped. Before I left the hospital, I bought a PIS and have never brought dd back to breast. Turns out, she sometimes pulls away and screams at her bottle during feedings also! I had to switch to a faster flowing nipple. She's just as impatient as her mommy! Ha! Sorry so long! :)

Shanna & Makenna (5 weeks tomorrow)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 3:10pm
Two different LC's and three regular nurses tried to help me get my baby to breastfeed, but nobody could get it to work. He would either repeatedly latch on and fall right asleep, or shake his head back and forth violently screaming. Nobody could give me any advise other than to keep trying. I was released from the hospital and went to the doctor to have my baby's weight checked at three days old because he still wouldn't eat and he had lost about 15% of his birthweight. I started pumping then. I tried repeatedly for several weeks to get him to breastfeed, but he never would. No one has ever been able to tell me what went wrong, but pumping has worked out for us, so no complaints.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 3:10pm
Similar to Jennifer, we called DS the "super sucker." His latch was so incredibly painful, that I not only cringed, but oftentimes cried, for the first couple of minutes of BFing. But he also would fall asleep within the first 5 minutes of BFing, and it was impossible to wake him up. Then when he hit his 6 week growth spurt, and was BFing for 5 minutes, falling asleep, and waking up an hour later hungry (or me trying for 40 minutes to keep him awake long enough to get a decent amount of milk), enough was enough and I went to EPing (which I had done for him when he was in the NICU for the first week of his life). What a sanity saver!!

Allison (33) and Robbie (14+ months, BF'd for 6 weeks, EP'd from 6 weeks to 12 months)

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 10:20am
Anything that could go wrong did with my DS as far as nursing.

1) He was too sleepy for days after birth. I couldn't get him to wake up for anything. When he was awake, he had a lazy latch and wouldn't suck properly.

2) My milk supply came in fast and furious (2 days PP) and I didn't have a good pump so I became incredibly engorged. It took EIGHT weeks to get the engorgement and the plugged ducts resulting from the engorgement under control. For 8 weeks I went around with bowling balls for breasts. Not kidding. This made it really difficult to nurse and DS would refuse the breasts.

3) DS went from 7 lbs 13 oz at birth to 6 lbs 9 oz in a week because he wasn't eating. Ped made me think he was going to die if I didn't give him a bottle.

4) I have a very forceful letdown and fast flow and DS has severe reflux, not a good combination.

5) In addition to not being able to keep up with a forceful letdown due to his reflux, DS also developed breast refusal (I wonder why) and nipple confusion from getting a bottle early on.

6) When DS did learn to latch at 3 weeks, he had the latch of a bottle fed baby and it was so painful I'd have dreams about my nipples falling right off.

That's all the reasons I can remember for now. LOL :D

-Winnie & Gavin (4 months on Sunday)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 11:53am
Baby: weak suck, hypotonia (low muscle tone), retrognathia (recessed lower jaw), esophageal reflux, poor weight gain/failure to thrive;

Mother: forceful letdown, oversupply, fast flow, pain from latch, nerves shot from trying to BF (an hour resulted in him getting less than one ounce).

I consulted with four LC's on multiple occasions and BF just was not working.

I knew that breast milk has so many benefits for baby and mother and was determined to give the best I could.

Lisa - mother to Alexander (EP'ed for 10 months)

& big sister Annalicia

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 1:02pm
Twins. Enough said.

OH ok, I admit it, there's more. The girls were born at 35 weeks, and spent 6 & 8 days in the NICU. Though the nurses encouraged BFing in the ward, I opted to bottle feed expressed milk. I felt that if the Drs could quantify how much Aislinn (who had been tube fed) could eat, she would come home quicker. Once the girls were home, I exclusivly BF for one week. They came home at 4 and 5 lbs, and gained NO weight that first week home. :( I immediately went back to pumping and bottlefeeding. The Ped was supportive of BFing, but I was too traumatized at no weight gain, and I needed to count ounces. The babies were just too small and premature to suck well enough at the breast, they also never woke up and had to really be coaxed to eat at all. My original intention was to breast milk feed until they reached their due date and then try to transition back to the breast, but I have since decided that the convienience of bottle feeding twins far outways everything else (I also have 2 older daughters, ages 5 & 3) and if I can give them BM and still bottle feed, I have the best of both worlds. Finding this board was HUGELY intrumental in my decision making process, because once I knew there was actual support, plus the legacy of so many moms who have successfully EP'd long term, I knew that it was a viable option for me, and I could still realistically provide BM for a year as I had planned to do with BFing.

That's our story so far!

-Meredith (Aislinn and Abigail, 3.5 mo)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:10pm
Thanks so much for everyone sharing! Keep the stories coming as I think mother's really need to get info out there to prepare others. I am exlusively pumping for dd#2, Brenna Lynn who is 5 mos on the 2nd. I was lucky in that I found this board before conceiving #2 and found great info ahead of time. With dd#1 she was 9 lbs 6 oz, born by cs, and very drowsy. She fell asleep at the breast, lost 10% of her birth weight by day 2, and the hospital had me supplement and pump. When I got home she had trouble latching on one breast due to a flat nipple. My dr had me see a breastfeeding Dr (yes we have one!) and she told me to use a nipple shield. My bm came in overnight as I forgot to pump due to lack of sleep. I became engorged and my breasts felt like they were ready to explode. I had to go on medication for mastitas and it was a real mess. I was bfg, pumping, cleaning bottles, pumps, and sleeping 30 mins in between! I was in tears all the time. By 3 weeks I decided to give up bf and use formula. Withing 3 days my dd had reflux and was in the hospital overnight. We put her on a special formula and she was on that until about 14 mos. So when I became pregnant with #2 I read about exclusively pumping and although I wanted to try bfg again, I knew I had that as a back up. With dd#2 she was again large, and HUNGRY, not tired. I had a c-section, dh went home with dd#2, I delivered in the morning, by 7 pm they had the cathedar out, the intervenous out, and had me looking after my baby! She was so hungry and I didn't have anything to feed her, so I latched her on alright, but she was on my breasts every 30 mins thru the night. Just what you need after major surgery. It wasn't until the next afternoon that the Ped came in and told the nurses to let me supplement and pump so milk would come in. It did come in, but dd gaged on the bm and especially when using a nipple shield. By the 3rd week I gave up bm and just went to pumping. I knew what she was getting, I wansn't in tears, and dh could feed her. It all worked out and she is one healthly little baby (16 lbs)! Hope more of the expecting mothers, visit the board to help them prepare. I am sure glad I did. I guess I would tell them all to ensure they have a good pump and use it right away to ensure they don't get engorged. That is I believe the most important thing. Thanks for reading my story! Patricia, and Brenna Lynn (4 mos)
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 4:01pm
I had purchased a pump when I was pregnant for the occasional bottle when I left baby with my hubby to have some time out on my own. She took the bottle so easily, and breastfeeding was not going as well as I had hoped. I have an older daughter who is 2 1/2 and I felt that my breastfeeding the baby was taking time away from her. As I pumped more bottles my days got easier and hubby was able to help with the feedings as well. This way, we still get the benefits of breastmilk, with the flexibility of a bottle and we do not need to use formula all of the time.

Pages