Yay! I'm a ProEPer..but so many new q's!

iVillage Member
Yay! I'm a ProEPer..but so many new q's!
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 6:45pm

Hooray! LO turned 6 mo yesterday! She is getting so big (on my milk!) and seems to do something new everyday! I'm half way to my EPing goal! It feels like it came quick, but also like I still have so long to go. At least I realize its only downhill from now on.

I'm feeling like I'm doing well at 4 pumps. I'm making 32-35oz and DD eats 26oz. Last week DH and I went through the freezer stash and I have about a months worth of milk. Now we have started giving her 3 freezer bottles a day and 3 fresh bottles to make sure that we use up the freezer milk before the 4mo expiration (though I'd like to keep it around 3mo). We are using the milk from Feb 11th today, so getting close.

So I've been thinking of dropping to 3 pumps soon since at this point I wouldn't mind giving up a few oz to get the extra free time (or you could look at it as extra time to keep with things around the house...LOL.)

But I have all these "what ifs" in my head. Like, what if I lose more than a few oz? Can I just go back up to 4 pumps and they will come back?

Or what if DD starts eating more now that she is older. I read that babies usually eat the same amount of milk up until 6 mo. But what happens then? Do they eat more since they are bigger or do they eat less since they are starting solids?

For that matter, how do you get a 6mo old baby to eat solids? We have been trying with her now and again since 4mo and she is just not that interested. We have tried rice cereal, bananas, and peas (not mixed together :) It's not that she makes a yucky face and spits it out. She just kind of rolls it around in her mouth then it dribbles out instead of her swallowing.

Sorry about the long post. I've had less free time to visit the board lately and thought I should get all my questions out while I can. I'm not totally set on going to 3 pumps now, but it it would be nice!

Thanks to everyone on this board! I would have had no idea that EPing was possible without you ladies!

Lisa

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Congratulations on making it to six months!! That is fantastic!

"Like, what if I lose more than a few oz? Can I just go back up to 4 pumps and they will come back?"

It seems to me that should work fine, though I never tried it. The first few months are critical for establishing a good supply, and you've already done that.

"Or what if DD starts eating more now that she is older. I read that babies usually eat the same amount of milk up until 6 mo. But what happens then? Do they eat more since they are bigger or do they eat less since they are starting solids?"

If they are starting solids then they will eat less EBM. If not (many six month olds are not interested in solids) it will be the same amount of EBM, as what your produce becomes more calorie-rich over time to keep pace with their growth. My little girl didn't want much to do with solids until she was well over a year, and she continued to consume about the same amount of EBM as she always had. That's assuming you are giving fresh milk: if you are giving your baby EBM from the freezer which you produced months ago then I should think you'll need a bit more.

"For that matter, how do you get a 6mo old baby to eat solids?"

In my book, you don't! Not if they don't want to. I'm a big believer in Mother Nature knowing best. (Of course, I can't take that idea too literally, because Mother Nature seems to have meant for my baby to die soon after birth... and I had a different opinion about that!) But neither of my children wanted to start eating bang on six months. Breastmilk continues to be the perfect food for an older baby, so there's no hurry.