At wits end

iVillage Member
At wits end
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 12:05pm
I'm posting in this section because I'm sure most of our babies are around the same age. LO is 6mths- he doesn't and hasn't sttn.

siggy.jpg siggy picture by LucasMom2008

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: lucasmom2008
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 1:04pm

Sounds like DS is High needs and probably would have been even if you didn't use AP style parenting.

CHECK OUT MY BLOG:
http://sunvalleysoul.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 1:07pm

You could always try, but it might not work... some moms say it works for there kids and others say it does not.

Max used to wake up all the time for his paci and I just stopped giving it to him cold turkey, (I think he was 5 months old, so if he wanted something to suck on he had his fingers and thumb, I did not feel guilty) however it did not stop the midnight wakings (he woke maybe a little less, but still got up) the only thing that made him happy was to sleep w/ us. So we take turns and each night one of us goes to his room to sleep w/ him once he wakes up in the middle of the night.

the only time he wants to eat is the 11-ish hour and we feed him and put him back to his crib (we are normally still up) but when / if he wakes at like 2 or 3, he just wants to cuddle, so we do.

Good luck

BTW my other son did not sleep through the night until he was 3 years old.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 1:18pm

Yeah, in my experience having formula doesn't help my daughter sleep any longer than usual. Maybe it's true for some kids... but I hear it's a myth overall:
http://www.google.com/custom?as_q=formula+%22sleep+longeR%22+myth&as_sitesearch=

P.S.: I hate to say it, but some kids just have that pattern. I have two cousins from different families that both did this till they were about 2 years old. One was formula-fed and the other breastfed, so that wasn't it...

Edited 5/29/2009 1:20 pm ET by crazedartist
------- I pump most of the time, but I'm not technically an EPer since I still nurse my DD once or twice a day. I hang out mostly on the EPing board because you all are the ultimate experts on pumping! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 2:45pm
So glad to know I'm not alone. I think sometimes he is highneeds...but when I read guidlines he is just border. Like he has no problem sitting there while I pump and wash bottles 4xday..its that when its his time he wants to be held and walked around. His toys only entertain him for a few minutes. Who knows....I will have to look up silent reflux and I know my ped will prescribe what ever we both feel is right.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 3:37pm

You poor thing!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 4:19pm
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mother when my last child was 2 months old, she had ALS.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 5:38pm

I'm sorry your baby is having sleep problems.

Edwin Akira (9-19-08)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 10:17pm

I'd have to concur with some of the PP's - I think the concept that babies sleep better if given formula vs. breast milk is somewhat of an old wives tale. It is true that BM is digested faster, but even formula is gone in 3-4 hours, yet some babies learn very young to sleep 8+ hours, and others wake up every few hours until they are 2+.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-31-2009 - 10:53pm

I'm sorry for you and I hope it will get better. My LO hates his car seat too. He is ok for about 20 min. After that if he does not fall asleep, we better get home soon. I totally understand the stress. I will frequently drive to my parents' home by myself about 3 hours away and he will fuss and get upset. One time he was so upset he threw up in his seat and of course all this was on the interstate with no exits nearby. Once I got him out, what can you do? He had to go back in there. One thing I found that would help is if I have a bag of toys in the front seat and just keeping handing them back to him as drops one. I know there is a certain point at which nothing works. Also may sure the straps aren't too tight. I unknowingly had them too tight for a little bit.

One thing that helped me with getting up in the night was my change in thinking. I knew it was going to happen. I changed my thoughts from I have to get up with him to I get to get up with him - silly I know. I get to spend more time with him (not when I want to but). I knew that I was not going to sleep all night and once realized it wasn't going to happen. I was ok with it. I got a newsletter in my email from Chick Moorman and he was talking about positive parenting and it was just thing I needed to hear. I know that I can't really change my LO getting up but I could change thoughts.

I also dropped my really late pump and that helped majorly.

GL and HTH!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-02-2009 - 6:07pm

I feel your pain!! My DS is 5 months old and not sleeping through the night either. Not only is he waking up between 2-3 times per night but it is really hard to get him to go back to sleep once he's up. I have recently read the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book and am trying some of the techniques in there. They seemed to be working at first and then not so much but I am trying to be more consistent with the ideas. Last night he only got up once so that was good, but who knows how many times he'll get up tonight. One thing I have just tried is to do a dream feed right before I go to bed. He's still getting up but I'm hoping it will decrease the # of times he gets up (I've only done it once so I don't know if it works consistently yet). I'm also trying to make sure he naps during the day (he is not a very good napper) because I've read that that can impact nighttime sleep too. Unfortunately I have not been able to get him on a nap schedule yet, but I am still trying. It's hard with the pumping because I may not be able to respond to his tired cues as I might if I wasn't tied up to the pump. Your lucky that yours is content while you pump. Mine is content for maybe about 15-20 minutes (if I'm lucky) and then he gets fussy. I usually try to put him in the swing while I pump to help him fall asleep and he's usually more content in the swing - but not always. This is what I try to tell myself when I am frustrated at night "This is not my burden, it's my blessing". Good luck!

Jenn

Pages