Hearing test at 15 months?

iVillage Member
Hearing test at 15 months?
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 3:14pm

ok, so I copy/paste this from a letter i was writting my G-ma, too lazy to change things around to make it sound like I wrote it just for this place, but....

has anyone else done a hearing test around this age what were the results?

here's the story...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 10:21am

I don't have any BTDT experience, but here are my thoughts:

Did you do the hearing test when Max was born?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 1:05pm

We did have Max's testing done at birth, at the 1st hospital he was less that 24 hrs old and they could not get it, but then the dr looked at the paperwork and said that they should not test until after 24hrs old. Then we went to nicu and then trans to an out of town nicu. before we could leave nicu we had to test again and it took FOREVER, she had such a hard time, she finally got it, but I think she said something about small ear canals or something, it was a struggle.

my mom said that she refused to talk until she was about 3 yrs old too. Michael (my teen) was in speech for years when he was in school (3yrs old until, crap I am not even sure 2 or 3 grade maybe) They tested his hearing when he was 3 and it was fine. Michael actually was dx w/ a

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-20-2009 - 8:32pm

Hmm, I can't remember exactly, only vaguely! My dd had tests at 3 months, 15 months, and 30 months. The trouble is, children at 15 months don't always have good comprehension so the testing is fairly basic. They make various sounds on each side of the child and look to see whether the child shows any interest. They also do the physical test, which is similar or identical to the newborn test (can't remember! but it's noninvasive) and shows whether there's any sign of glue ear.

Tests for older children are more comprehensive and may address whether the child can distinguish between similar sounds.

Even though you know that your little guy understands you, you may get some useful information from the test: for instance if his hearing is better in one ear than the other then you can try to talk to him from that side more.

Hope it goes well!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-20-2009 - 9:44pm

ohh, I never thought about one ear being better than the other, umm that is a good point.

gosh that dang newborn test again.. I hope it goes better than last time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 3:31pm

Maybe it's genetics, but that would be in regards to the ear forming itself, not really with trouble reading etc.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 11:34pm

Jennifer,

My friend's son is 16 months old and he is still only saying mama and dada and just makes sounds/babbles otherwise.

DAWN Mom to Adelaide Grace 3/25/08
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 1:42pm

HI there!

I have 7 month old twin boys...and I started wondering about their language because one "talks" more than the other.

TwinMomInCA,

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker