Running out of frozen milk!

iVillage Member
Running out of frozen milk!
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 2:05pm

I've been EP'ing for over 10 months now. When I first started, I was averaging about 45 to 50 oz a day, so I was able to freeze quite a bit of milk. I ended up with over 3500 oz before I finally decided that I had enough saved up and started dropping pumps in the hopes that I would stop producing so much milk.

At the end of Dec, I was working a fine balance. I would produce just enough to feed my son during the day and sometimes dip into the frozen. His eating habits haven't changed; he still eats about 30 to 32 oz a day (including a night feeding that we haven't been able to drop).

However, in the past 2 months, my supply has vastly dropped due to several reasons. I'm lucky to produce 20 oz a day and that's squeezing my boobs for all they have! *laughs* So now, I've had to use one or 2 bags a milk a day. Today, I checked the freezer and realized I only have 11 bags left. At the rate we're going, I'll have no frozen left in less than a week!

Nathanial will be 11 months on the first of July. I had already planned at 12 months to stop pumping, or drop to 1 or 2 pumps a day and give him BM once a day. I see no reason to start anything to increase my production as it would only be for a month or two. I don't want to supplement with formula since, again, it would only be for a month or two. I don't want to deal with getting him to drink it and then weaning him from it.

My main question is, is it okay for him to start whole milk at 10 and half months? I know that ideally, I should wait until he's a year old, but I don't see how a month and half would really cause him that many issues if he doesn't have an intolerance. He eats mozzarella cheese and yogurt daily without issues.

If I start him on whole milk, how do I go about it? Do I just mix it with his breast milk and continue diluting it until it's just milk and no BM at all? I know he'll need to get at least 16 oz a day of whole milk. I'm at a loss as to how I proceed with this.

Thanks for reading my mini-novel if you've made it this far! Any ideas, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 4:56pm
I recommend you check with your pedi to see if CW is ok to give at this point since it has a lot less fat than BM. I just transitioned daughter to CW by mixing in 1/2 oz of CW with BM and increased CW slowly. She now drinks CW during the day and has one bottle of BM at night.
bday picture

Daniela - Mikaela's Mama (born 04.29.2008)

Photobucket Photobucket

bday picture
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 4:56pm

Hi there,

Definitely sounds like you should ask your pedi, but I know a lot of the moms on my PG have already introduced cow's milk into their LO's diets (our LO's are a bit older than yours, but as I recall, the mom's have been doing this for a month or more, which would make them even younger than your LO).

Photobucket