2 pumps and vacation

iVillage Member
2 pumps and vacation
Tue, 06-30-2009 - 4:38pm
Wow how time flies! Luke is now 7.5 months and we are in process of sleep training. Its going pretty darn good considering he use to sleep in room with us and wake every 30 min. Now he is in own room and sleeping from 7p - 7a!!! My problem with that is fitting in 25 oz of breastmilk. I was feeding 4oz 6-7 x's a day. Now I had to up his bottles to 6oz 4x day.

siggy.jpg siggy picture by LucasMom2008

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-02-2009 - 11:25am

DD is six months and I've recently started experimenting with 2 pumps a day, mainly to reduce my supply. Reducing time just didn't work for me. At three pumps, I was getting about 65 oz total. I've been dropping to two on the weekends to cut my supply and rest a little! I always pump until empty rather than timing it.

Be careful. I didn't loose any when dropping from 4 to 3, but have lost a lot by going down to two. I'm estimating 15-20 oz lost. It's so dramatic that I was a little scared, so I'm sticking with three during the week. My supply goes down over the weekend and is lowest on Monday and Tuesday, then starts going back up toward the end of the week. I think I'm maxing out at about 55 oz per day now. I read here that most people can't maintain a supply on 2 pumps because it's not enough stimulation. I'd tend to agree with that because of the large drop, and I've always had a really high supply. I've been doing this for about three weeks now and the pattern seems pretty consistent. So my bet would be that by skipping one every once in a while, you are okay, but I would worry about going to two as a regular cycle unless you are trying to wean. Just my humble opinion.

We recently went on vacation too. I've been lucky enough to have friends storing some milk for me in their freezer, so that helps. I was worried too though. I had the person who was feeding our cat check on our freezer while we were gone. Don't know the penny test.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-02-2009 - 6:08pm

I dropped to 2 pumps about a week ago because I started work. I lost more when I had dropped to 3 pumps than when I dropped to 2. I did prepare myself that if I had to supplement a little I would be ok. That hasn't happened yet but I am still waiting since my boobs take about 2 weeks to adjust.

As for the stimulation, I agree, you need a minimum # of minutes to stimulate the breasts even if you arent producing any milk. So I pump for 40-45 mins each now that I pump only twice. My vote is to go for it. If you are making about 30, you will not suddenly dry up - this is what my ped told me who also EPed for her two sons.

You can also always go back to 3 if you see a larger drop than you want ...

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-03-2009 - 12:28am

I just dropped from 3 to 2 pumps about 2 weeks ago.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-03-2009 - 5:57pm
Thanks guys! If I didn't have enough on my plate I started my period today for the first time in 16 months. UGH!!!

siggy.jpg siggy picture by LucasMom2008