Ugh Sippy Cups - share your story w/ me

iVillage Member
Ugh Sippy Cups - share your story w/ me
Sun, 07-05-2009 - 2:18pm

So we are trying the sippy cup, I guess it's not going bad, but it's not going good either, yesterday he went 12 hrs no bottle , but only had like 1oz of milk and 3 or 4 of juice. I finally gave him his bottle - it has been 12 hrs.

today seems to be the same, he is not crying for his botrtle, but he is really just chewing on the sippy not drinking.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 12:24pm

Have you tried straw cups instead of sippy ? We had greater sucess with straw cups and eventually I started putting straw in a regular cup and now he can drink from a cup without the straw. So the transition was also smooth from sippy/straw to a regular cup.

W.r.t milk in a straw cup I have not had luck yet, but he drinks anything and everything else from a straw / regular cup and I am not attaching too much of importance to cow's milk at this point in time. If he chooses to not drink it then I am not worried.

But thats just my opinion :)

Also, one other suggestion that had good success for Anish was to use a juice box to teach him on how to use the straw. put the straw in the juice box and while Max is sipping it squeeze the juice box so that he gets some juice in his mouth and gets an idea that he needs to suck on the straw to get the liquid out. They eventually get the idea within a couple of days.

good luck and hope this helps!

Photobucket

working&Pumping
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 1:13pm

the only problem w/ the straw sippys is he tilts his head back like he would a bottle or the regular sippy. Althought I know he knows how to use a straw from a real cup.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 4:11pm

Jennifer

I'm going through the same thing... Kaleigh will drink juice, & Water with a straw cup (munckin) or a camelbak. We bought the munckin sippys so we could change them out with the straw cups.

This weekend Kaleigh started drinking juice in the sippy cup - occassionally she'll drink milk out of if - but its not her favourite drink.

Tomorrow at daycare she's only getting sippys - no bottles. cold turkey & we're going to send lots of food. hopefully she'll eat it and drink milk out of the sippys

gigi

Photobucket

Photobucket

spunky girlhuman milk

superpowerPhotobucketbfdcosleepbabywear

PhotobucketPhotobucketbaby wear

saving the world 1 bumGaia

babygirlclover girl

Lil' b cup

Ep'd 4 Kaleigh 4 14mthsRetired Ep'rPhotobucket

1yr cc blinkie

CHECK OUT MY BLOG:
http://sunvalleysoul.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 8:58pm

Well, Max did kinda ok w/ the sippy at school. He went w/ only the sippy and they said they filled it a few times b/c he drank up his milk...... but.... He bit two kids today, Max have never bitten a kid before (when he had an ear infection - he bit us, but not the other kids)

I hope it was just a letting us know his feeling about the sippy cup and tomorrow will be better. He is also banging his head on anything hard (floor, walls, frig, ect)and hitting himself in the head. Not that I like that, but it's better than hurting others.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 9:42pm

We are still having sippy cup trouble. Will's problem also I think is flow rate. I got the gerber nuk sippy cups and he has done the best with those. I don't think he will starve at daycare now. He goes back in August and I was worried. Will does the same thing with the straws. He wants to tip it back and then he doesn't get anything, unless it is my big water bottle. Hopefully soon all of our LO will figure this out. We still have not eliminated bottles. He gets them before he goes to bed and when he wakes up at night. I am using the no cry sleep solution trying to get rid of all the over night feedings. It is helping. We just started.

Ahh, the biting. Will is starting this too. I know he is teething but now it is almost a way of saying I'm not happy or he wants me to get up and do something. Hopefully, he grow out of this before August. He bit once at daycare and got bit once last year.

BTW, Jennifer, I love your new siggys - so cute. I need to update mine. That pic is from March.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-08-2009 - 4:04pm

We are having trouble with "non-bottle" drinks as well.

The first problem is that although DD has learned how to hold her own bottle, she refuses to tip it back to get milk to flow into the nipple (we use the regular Avent bottles, so tipping is necesary to get milk out). She will sit on the floor holding onto the bottle and desperately sucking on the nipple for ten minutes, getting more and more frustrated and fussy, until you finally come and physically lay her down on her back, where she will promptly proceed to guzzle the bottle down.

If you give her a sippy cup, she will happily suck on it hard enough to get milk out, but also will not tip it, and if you lay her down on her back, the flow rate for any sippy I have found is enough faster than a bottle that she ends up choking, sputtering, and drenching the floor, her hair, and her shirt with milk.

I then tried straw cups, thinking they would be perfect since she could drink out of them sitting up, which is what she obviously wanted to do. But hand her a straw cup - and she will tip it right up so that she can get nothing out of it. The only way I can get her to drink anything is to hold her so she can't lay back, and the cup so she can't tip it, which annoys her enough that she will only drink a few ounces

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-08-2009 - 10:04pm

it seems I'm having the opposite problem of you! Kaleigh will drink water/juice of both a straw cup and a sippy cup. (we're using a munckin bottle as it seems to be the only thing she's willing to use right now - all those born free bottles and sippy tops a waste of $$)

Milk on the other hand - Kaleigh really doesn't go for it. She still loves her babas and signs milk when she says it. but during the day we're sending sippies of milk - but she's not having it. When we switched from ebm to cm - Kaleigh started having rashes - so we backed off and tried soy formula - which also didn't go over well. So we went back to the cm formula and she's ok - we've reintroduced cm - but she's not entirely "Sold" on drinking it. she'll drink it in a bottle - and occasionally sip on it in the cup - but doesn't particularlly like it.

So we're feeding any where btn 20-24oz of formula + solids (she'll eat anything as well - but she does get in her mind that she doesn't want to eat things that are different from you. And sometimes it all ends up on the floor!

I'm hoping the transition to cups moves along soon - b/c Kaleigh's now waking at night to eat more milk - so we're topping her off to make sure she's not hungry - but we've also got to get her to stop eating during her sleep so she'll sleep through the night if we want to move her into her own room in her crib

If its not one thing its another

gigi

Photobucket

Photobucket

spunky girlhuman milk

babygirlclover girl

Lil' b cup

1yr cc blinkie

CHECK OUT MY BLOG:
http://sunvalleysoul.blogspot.com/
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 7:29pm
This has nothing to do with sippy cups but I had to tell you, I think your daughter is the stinkin' cutest little girl :) I have seen your siggy before and thought the same thing but I ran into it again now and thought I should tell you. Good job mama!!!! :)
Proud momma to DS Bug (4) DD Turtle (2) AD Moo (1) Placed through foster care and finalized in 7 months!! AD -Due August 24th relactating and hoping to nurse succesfully!
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 9:53pm

Thanks A bunch! I have to update my siggy with newer pics!!!

gigi

Photobucket

Photobucket

spunky girlhuman milk

babygirlclover girl

Lil' b cup

1yr cc blinkie