Dropping to 2x - your experience

iVillage Member
Dropping to 2x - your experience
Sun, 07-05-2009 - 5:15pm

Hi,

My DD is almost 8 months now and I am going back to work tomorrow :( I will only do one full day though, rest is half days.

Currently I do 3 pumps a day - when I wake up (7am) midday (ranges from 11am to 2pm) and in the evening (8pm). I make about 30oz a day and she drinks 16oz so I am very comfortable.

I was planning to pump the same when I go back to work and it's not a problem at all. Just with additional time away from Freya I don't really want to come home and pump when she's awake iykwim? I was considering going down to two 1h pumps - in the morning and evening. What can I expect in terms of supply? I really want to carry on way past 1year, ideally till 2 years or more. is is possible to stay so long on two a day? What is your experience?

THX

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 12:21am

I just dropped to 2 pumps about 2-3 weeks ago.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 1:30am
I dropped from 3x to 2x at 15months. My output decreased 20% and each month I loose another 2oz. (I'm just AVP). So...if you plan on EP'ing for upward of 2yrs, I would probably keep the 3rd pump for a bit longer. Though your freezer stash will certainly help. Also, as your DD gets older, she can entertain herself more or run around while u sing songs while u pump, which will make it easier when u have to do that 3rd pump when she's there.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 12:17pm

I agree with PP, as your LO gets older it definitely gets way easier to pump when they are awake.

When I dropped down to 2x a day (pump/nurse), my supply took a big hit actually I almost went from 35 to 16 oz, but I did pump only for 30 mins each time. And over the period I have cut down the pump and didn't pump if DS nursed during that session instead so, again 30 mins pump cut down to just 5-10 mins nursing session, all put together I am now making only 10 oz which is still fine by me.

And I was a huge HVP and my frozen stash is still giving me a great helping hand.

So if you want to go till 2 yrs, then I will also advice you to stick with your 3rd pump for a little longer and may be drop down to 2 pumps around the 1 yr mark (may be)

Photobucket

working&Pumping
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-10-2009 - 11:40am

I was at 40+ oz. down to 4 pumps, then dropped to 30 oz. at 3 pumps, and 20 oz. at 2 pumps.