How Long Does It Take...?

iVillage Member
How Long Does It Take...?
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 4:09pm

First, I'd like to thank all of you for this site... when BF didn't work out for us (wicked case of jaundice!), I would have gone straight to FF w/o y'all...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 10:06pm

Everyone is going to react a little different to the weaning process so there's probably a wide range of "normal" when it comes to how long it takes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 10:52pm

I agree with pp on trying out the frozen/formula before weaning. I will post my weaning schedule. I was making 24 oz/day and was in no hurry, so I took about 2 mos to be totally done, but I didn't have to go that slow for physical comfort or anything. And BTW, I had to laugh at "sadly, I won;t be able to EP forever." I don;t think any of us are sad about that LOL!

I went from 6:30A, 11A, 4P, and 9P, 1 hour in AM, 40 minutes for the rest to 6:30, 1, and 9 all 1 hour each. Hung there for a week, then began pushing my 1PM pump back by 1 hour every 3 days, until I was at 4P. Then I started moving my 9P pump up by 30 minutes every other day, as I decreased my 4P pump by about 10 minutes every other day, until I could combine the afternoon and evening pump into one hour long pump around 5 or 6 P. I then held at 2 1-hour long pumps per day at 6A and 6P for one week, then dropped my evening pump by 10 minutes every 2-3 days, until I was only getting about 1-2 oz in a 5-10 min pump and quit that one altogether. Then I did the same thing to wean back my AM pump. My last pump I got 3/4oz--I knew I was done! No probs since. Whole process took about 2 mos, but I was in no hurry so kind of lingered some.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket