benefits of breast milk beyond 1 year?

iVillage Member
benefits of breast milk beyond 1 year?
Thu, 04-10-2008 - 4:36pm

Hi ladies,

I'm trying to make the decision about how soon to wean after I reach the 12 month mark. I wanted to keep going for an extended period of time, but recently DH said that, while he'd support me no matter what, he had a preference that I at least think about stopping after 12 months. I told him I'd think about it. I know that it's ultimately my choice, but he often takes care of Ian while I'm pumping, especially on the weekends, so I feel like I need to consider his needs too.

Does anyone know if the benefits of extended nursing are primarily due to the composition of breast milk, or to the psychological effect of nursing? If it's mostly due to the psychologically soothing effect of nursing, well then I might as well stop pumping, right? But if there are still big benefits to breast milk after 1 year, then I want to take that into consideration too.

Thanks for your help!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 7:59am

Hi -

I have heard and read that there are benefits, but as you say it is also important to consider your DH's feelings about it, since he is also involved in the process too!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 10:02am

this is exactly the type of information i was looking for. thanks so much for the helpful link!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 4:42pm
I plan on pumping for at least 18 months if I can. There are tremendous benefits to breastmilk after a year but I don't have the time to look them up just yet! If you decide to quit at 12 months then keeping Ian on formula until about 18months is a good idea. Cows milk/soymilk aren't as nutritious. Have you ever checked out the breast milk vs. formula board? They have tons of links and information on extended nursing!

Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 4:57pm

you mean the debate board? i'll have to peak on over there and see what they have on there.

i posted a similar post on the breastfeeding board too, and they were similarly enthusiastic about extended nursing, even if you're pumping.

thanks for chiming in!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 11:24pm
Yes, the debate board- believe it or not it was one of the reasons I kept pumping! I just lurk but I've learned so so much. I really recommend taking a peak if you have a chance- and congrats on almost making a year!

Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2008 - 6:13pm

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Dettwyler claims that "Studies have shown that a child's immune system doesn't completely mature until about 6 years of age, and it is well established that breast milk helps develop the immune system and augment it with maternal antibodies as long as breast milk is produced (up to two years, no studies have been done on breast milk composition after two years post partum)."

and that "no one has yet proved, either way, that the benefits of breastfeeding either continue or stop at two years of age, because the appropriate studies have not been done. The trend during the first two years is clearly for continuing benefits the longer you nurse."

Six years

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2008 - 10:08pm

So I wonder how much breastmilk doctors such as Dettwyler suggest a child consume each day

Shyla - Mom to Anna, born 9/12/07
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 9:42am

that was a very informative article. thanks for the link!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 3:49pm

Thats a very nice link.

yes, even I have heard that older babies will typically take only around 12-14 ounces of milk per day.

Even I would love to go longer than 1 yr, only time has the answers :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-20-2008 - 5:42pm

"So I wonder how much breastmilk doctors such as Dettwyler suggest a child consume each day

Pages