How to come to terms with weaning?

iVillage Member
How to come to terms with weaning?
Tue, 04-29-2008 - 9:18pm

My daughter is 6.5 months old and I've been EPing since she was 2 weeks old (after unsuccessful attempts to BF due to a lazy suck, jaundice, etc and meeting with 3 different LCs-- I was at my wits end and pumping seemed like a good temporary solution. For various reasons, it ended up becoming permanent). At 2 months, DH became unsupportive of the pumping (actually admitted he wanted me to stop-- I knew he wasn't excited about it pretty much from the beginning because of the time, inconvenience, etc). We argued about it a lot at that point and the bottom line was that I wasn't ready to stop.

Six months was one of my goals, and then I was going to re-evaluate. Last week (right after 6 months) I came down with mastitis. It was horrible timing, when we had family in town and I was about to cook dinner for everyone but instead had to go to urgent care. At this point I realized that I couldn't carry on with pumping a couple of hours per day-- I am just too tired. Dh and my family really pressured me to stop, and I agreed that it was a good time (after the infection cleared). At DD's 6 month appointment last week, I told the pedi I wanted to stop and she said it was fine, not to feel guilty, etc.

I had only been pumping twice per day so I couldn't really wean gradually. Last week I started using cabbage leaves and sudafed and only pumping 1 time per day for comfort. After a few days the once a day pump wasn't even really necessary for comfort, but I have continued doing it. I got really depressed about the thought of stopping even though I thought I was ready-- it just seemed so sudden to go from supplying almost all of DD's food to none at all (I really don't have a freezer stash at all because DD refuses to drink the frozen milk-- I have thrown out hundreds of ounces over the past few months because of this). I started to think that I could keep the once per day pump for as long as I still have some milk-- this really has helped me come to terms with weaning. I am currently getting about 8 oz from my once per day 30 min pump. I don't feel full throughout the day, I'm definitely not engorged, etc. For the first time I am able to sleep without a bra.

Is it really silly to continue pumping once per day? DH really doesn't understand my emotional state about all of this and he's worried that I will get mastitis again. I know that my supply probably won't keep up and that's okay-- it's just buying some time for my emotional state to come to terms with weaning. Does this make sense? Does anyone have any advice?

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2008 - 11:09am

I am sorry to hear about your mastitis and hope it does not happen again! You are really strong to continue pumping this far without support. I do not have any helpful advice.

-Lax

"Life is what happens, while you are busy making plans."
~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2008 - 11:22am
Hi there, Like you I didn't quite mean to EP but after an endless procession of LCs and LLL, I ended up pumping to LO's 6 month mark.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2008 - 10:12am

I can relate to how your DH is reacting, mine did the same.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 9:45am

For anyone who is interested, I decided to keep pumping one time per day and see what happens. My body seems to have adjusted to this -- I really am not full during the day or engorged at all, etc. I pump once per day in the evening for 30 min at get about 11-12 oz. It's worth it to me to keep doing this for as long as I am producing and not having problems with plugged ducts, etc. DH and I are back to "agreeing to disagree" on this issue so he's not pressuring me too much to stop.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 10:29am

I am glad you worked out a solution.

I have a question though. With one pump a day, how is the milk consistency for you? Are you getting good amount of hind milk? The reason I ask is I am at 2X now and am trying to go down to 1X or may be wean shortly.

-Lax

~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 2:32pm

glad to hear that you found something that worked for you. it's very helpful for me because i want to start working down to 2 or even 1 pump a day, and i didn't know if it was doable. sounds like you're doing fine that way though, so it encourages me to try too. thx!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 3:54pm
I think if you do it slowly enough anything is possible. When I first went to 1x/day in the hopes of drying up (while on the antibiotics) I was only pumping for comfort and the milk was very thin. But now I am pumping to empty, and it is regular consistency (maybe even a little
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2008 - 4:53pm

Thanks for the heads up. I am at a point where my DH will be very happy if I packed up my pump this minute. Since I have to do it gradually I get mixed emotions of trying to continue. Now let me try to come to 1X and see how it goes.

preview image

preview image

medal5mo-84x100.jpg picture by lktwogirls

-Lax

~ John Lennon ~