I'm at my wits end & need advice please

iVillage Member
I'm at my wits end & need advice please
Mon, 05-26-2008 - 8:53pm

Hi Everyone,
So I've been in the process of weaning for over a month right now. I knew once I had trouble going from 4x to 3x that my weaning wasn't going to be quick, but now that I'm at 2x and trying to get to once a day I'm having even more issues.

Here's my problem: every time I change my schedule (right now I'm trying to taper off my evening pump -- I pump 7 am (~50 min) and 7 pm (now at 35 min) -- I end up getting clogs. At first I was trying to shave 10 min off at a time with the evening pump, but I was getting too clogged, so I cut back to shaving 5 min off ever few days. At the moment BOTH sides have clogs and I can't even hold my DS without cringing I'm in so much pain. I'm so afraid of getting an infection (and take lecithin 3x a day -- 2 gel tabs each time). When I pump I'm getting ~ 11 oz in the morning and less than 10 at night. Tonight however I got 7 oz b/c of the clogs.

Would I be better off just to quit cold turkey and pump for comfort? I'm just so prone to clogs and am afraid of getting an infection (as I mentioned) from all of this...what should I do???? It's at these moments when I get upset that BFing didn't work out...I know this wouldn't have happened when I was weaning if I was BFing! Ugh...
Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any advice/btdn stuff.
Jullie

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-27-2008 - 12:08pm

Just wanted to share my story, eventhough it does not answer your question! I have been weaning past 3 weeks and felt really uncomfortable dropping from 3X

-Lax

"Life is what happens, while you are busy making plans."
~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-27-2008 - 6:58pm
Can you describe how you got from 3x to 1x per day? Perhaps my body would respond better by always emptying (as you said you did), but just eliminating pumps.
thanks!
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 9:12am

From 3X to 2X,

-Lax

~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 2:03pm
So, when you went 18 hrs between pumps did that mean you were getting up in the middle of the night? How long did you pump for, by the way? My body is clearly having a hard time getting the message too, so I'm willing to try anything (and it sounds like your system worked well for you!). Congrats on HUTH! I hope to be right behind you!
Jullie
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 2:41pm

May be 3 or 4 days I have woken up very full and uncomfortable between 2 am and 4 am to pump. Some nights I was so tired and slept through and that kind of helped too. I pumped for 20-25 minutes.

Initially I tried to not empty and cut out time at each pump and it was taking me nowhere. Some posts around here talked about emptying and cutting out pumps. When I started I thought it is going to take forever. Then suddenly it starts working.

Good luck with your decisions, am sure you will figure out a way that works for you.

sruanj.jpg sruanj picture by lktwogirls

preview image

preview image

medal6mo.jpg image by lktwogirls

-Lax

~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 6:41pm

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience...I think you've helped me to formulate a new plan. Cross your fingers for me. :)

Your LOs are absolutely beautiful!

Jullie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 7:28pm

Hi there,

I know you've made a new plan for yourself, but if you still need help and decide to stop cold turkey I'd be happy to give you a few tips that worked for me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 6:51pm

thanks for your offer, Melissa...I'll keep you posted (and reply again if I need advice on cold turkey!). I'm going to start moving my 7 am pump up an hour every couple of days and thereby extending the time between pumps to see if my body gets the message. If that doesn't work, then I'll do the cold turkey thing. :)

I wish the weaning thing wasn't so hard -- I feel bad enough that I don't want to do this for 12 months. Argh!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-01-2013 - 12:21pm
I see that you have posted a lot on the board with your experience. Can you please give me some advice how to start weaning? I am pumping 6X a day, for 20 mins. I am prone to clogs, so I am very nervous. I have tried to push my pumping every 4 hrs instead of 3.5 and I get engorged and feel a clog coming on :/ Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!