how to wean baby off BM

iVillage Member
how to wean baby off BM
Wed, 07-02-2008 - 7:04pm

My daughter will be 6 mons old this August and since my DH and I will both be back at work then we don't think we will be able to continue with the pumping anymore...

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2008 - 11:30pm

I'd honestly wait to drop a pump until you are doing well with the formula.

Try it warmer, try it ice cold. Try offering it in a sippy cup. Sometimes the novelty of change of temp or source can help them to take more. Try offering the frozen BM as a "slushie" fed via spoon. Honestly, the calories are the same spooned into her mouth frozen as it is warm in a bottle.

You can also try freezing your milk into ice cube trays - so she can chew on them in a mesh feeder as a snack. Also, you can try MIXING the formula and BM and slowly increasing the concentration of formula. So, make the formula as stated on the package (generally 1 scoop to 2 oz water). Mix well. Then, if baby takes a 4.5 oz bottle...start by having 2 oz formula and 2.5 oz BM in the bottle. If she does well, stick with that and then SLOWLY increase the concentration. Actually, you may have better luck using your frozen first that way...as when mixed with the fresh it tastes better, as does the formula.

Also, consider the TYPE of formula you are using. Most are VERY nasty. I've had the best luck with Carnation Good Start Supreme and it tastes/smells less nasty than the other brands.

Hope this helps!
Amy

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting