Need to wean from pump

iVillage Member
Need to wean from pump
Fri, 07-04-2008 - 11:37pm

Hello Everyone

Due to life it is time for me to wean from the pump. I have enough bm for my baby to make it until for months. Things for my family have been hard. I am alone with no help and pumping is getting harder the bigger he gets. I cry a lot because I know I need to pump, but every time I go to pump he cries or wakes up and I hate letting him scream. How do I do this without getting clogs? I went from 8 to 7 this week. I got a clog, but worked it out. Today I am going to 6 pumps and plan to do that for a week and then drop to 5. I have been emptying fully and wearing cabbage leaves which seems to help. Any suggestions. I feel like a failure because I know he should get bm longer, but I am a wreck. When my husband is home it is easy to pump because someone can take the baby, but he is really busy with an internship and work, and this week I went from having some help to nothing and I don't have family near by.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-05-2008 - 6:59pm

Pumping doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation...you said you're 4 months pp? How much milk are you making a day?

I completely know how you feel about not having help (I don't have family around either). But it sounds like you're doing the right things...just make sure you empty all the way. This helps to prevent clogs. I would also recommend taking lecithin (start with a dose of 1 1200 mg capsule 2x per day). Use heat as well when pumping to help you prevent/get out clogs. Just put some rice in a sock, tie one end and heat it in the microwave for a couple of min before pumping. That worked really well for me too.

You've done a great job giving your LO any BM at all, so don't beat yourself up about having to wean!
Jullie

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-06-2008 - 8:19pm

I know how you feel. I don't have family or friends around to help either and my bub is almost as old as your LO. It's hard and exhausting by yourself and tears are sometimes inevitable.

You're doing a fabulous job. Really. If only we could learn to not feel guilty about wanting to make things easier for ourselves...but a happy mum = happy bub. GL.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2008 - 1:23pm

Hugs your way..

If you are not quite ready to wean, you could try dropping couple of pumps and see if you can manage a 3X or even a 2X schedule.

-Lax

"Life is what happens, while you are busy making plans."
~ John Lennon ~