What....Self weaning....Only my weirdo:)

iVillage Member
What....Self weaning....Only my weirdo:)
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 1:59am

Well ladies its like this.......Joslyn is now just about 11 months and Ive been pumping for 10 months and I have over 2700 oz in the deep freeze and the little stinker just doesnt want the milk?? SHe doesnt want fresh or frozen, warm or cold, she is just not into it anymore. I can barely get her to drink 15 -20 oz, 15 oz if Im lucky, sometimes only 10 oz per day, and I read there are still suppose to drink 20 - 30 oz per day....CRAP..IS there such thing as self weaning? My other daughter didnt want the boob anymore past 14 months but is it possible if Jos just doesnt need it anymore...She loves food and gets a really healthy wide variety of fresh fruit, veggies, lentils, cheese, whole grain toast, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, she still eats infant cereal for breakfast with a couple of oz of breast milk, avacados, ect...Nothing from the jar just straight up home prepared food. And water she really isnt into either she will drink it but not alot...Her diapers arnt as wet as they used to be when she was smaller, is that normal? What do you think????? I want to continue on pumping one pump a day for the next year but not if she doenst want the fresh never mind the hard worked oz in the freezer...CRAP AGAIN..please help

Kendee

pictures1225-1-2.jpg image by pussywillow04

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 8:45am
She might be teething, which makes it hurt to suck. She still needs to drink something, so I wouldn't give up yet. But if she refuses to drink 16 oz or so for a few days, I would call the pedi. Maybe she has an ear infection or something.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 10:36am

No idea, I would call the pedi (because I have no idea what I'm doing :)

I'm very interested to hear what's up, so let us know!

Gosh, Joslyn is a cutie pie...

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 12:03pm
Its very rare for babies to ween before a year- usually self weaning happens between 18 months and 4 years of age. I would cut back a bit on the solids and see if that helps. If she's eating *too much* table food she wont have room for breastmilk (which is more nutritionally dense then any solid food).

Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 1:37pm

Have you tried offering the BM just barely defrosted as a "slushy".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2008 - 3:02pm

Hi,

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2008 - 4:11pm
Well It in fact turned out my poor little angel had an ear infection. You know i would of never of know except she was not wanting to drink and she was kinda grabbing at her hair in the back, (she has a lot of hair) so I thought nothing of it, but decided to talk to my family doc and sure enough she had an ear infection and now that she has been on medication for 4 days already she drinks 20 oz plus without a fight...So as soon as something is "different" I believe they are trying to tell us something...So if I were you just go get it checked out:)

Kendee

pictures1225-1-2.jpg image by pussywillow04

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2008 - 11:11am

aw, poor joslyn! glad she's feeling back to herself!

Photobucket