Dropping to 1 pump per day

iVillage Member
Dropping to 1 pump per day
Wed, 07-23-2008 - 9:16am

Hi again ladies! I have posted here only a few times over the past year, but reading the posts have given me so much encouragement, I thank you all for that! =) I combined pumping and BFing for the first 8 1/2 months, until DS decided to self wean from nursing, so I have been EPing since April. When AF came back regularly, I noticed a significant drop in production. I started supplementing 1 bottle of formula a day sometime

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 8:30am

Your supply might maintain or it might not.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 3:56pm

congrats on your little one's birthday, and for EPing to 1 year!

there are some extended nursers who continue to nurse even though their toddlers only snack once or twice a day, so i don't see why you can't do it either. might not maintain at 10oz, but i don't think you'll completely dry up if you keep pumping!

good luck!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 4:26pm

Thank you for your support, Melissa! =)

I go back and forth every day on whether or not I want to stop completely, or continue with 1x/day for awhile. I pumped twice yesterday and once so far today (only 6 oz after 17hrs). Most likely I will pump again before bed. DS really likes the

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2008 - 4:34pm

Thank you! I think I may continue at 1x/ a day for awhile. As much as I hate pumping/washing parts I dont think Im emotionally ready to let the girls dry up completely yet! I never thought Id have an emotional attachment to my BM! LOL!

Even if its not 10oz, every little bit counts, right? =) Its such a hard decision. But I guess all of us EPers end up making the decision at some point.

Thanks again!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2008 - 12:44pm

i know what you mean about not wanting to let go! i promised myself months ago that i'd let myself go down to 3x a day in july, and, well, still haven't done it yet! i still get hung up about supply drops, even though ian needs less and less milk. *sigh*

about washing parts, do you have a dishwasher? sometimes i just run the top rack full of bottles and pump parts, because i get so darn tired of washing them by hand! :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2008 - 9:36pm

Hi jenkitty25!

Our kids have the same birthday! Can you believe how quickly the last year has pasted? About a week or so before her birthday Ana really turned into a toddler. She isn't walking yet, but her attitude is all toddler! Ana still drinks a lot of milk. I've had a hard time transitioning her to solids. Plus I haven't weaned her from the bottle yet. She just doesn't take much from the sippy. I too am going to have a hard time giving up the pump, as crazy as that seems! I feel like it's my last physical connection to Ana. After that she really will be independent! Take as long to wean as you need. GL

Mary Kay, mommy to Ana Patricia (born 7/18/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Kay, mother to:

Ana Patricia - 7/18/07

Christina Maria - 8/28/10