Clog-induced weaning?

iVillage Member
Clog-induced weaning?
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 3:55am

Have any of you weaned early because of chronic clogs/mastitis problems? I have AWEFUL killer clogs, literally once or twice a week and I am seriously thinking about weaning early just to stop this pain.

The clogs are worsening my insomnia (can't sleep through the pain), are making me miserable (and thereby DS and DH miserable) and I just don't know if it's worth it in the balance. I pump around 32-36 oz a day (DS eats between 40-42 and I used to be able to meet that, but with all the cabbage leaves to treat clogs, etc. my supply has dropped somewhat).

DS is turning 3 months tomorrow and he already doubled his weight at 2 months (folks think he's six months, LOL!) and his growth seems to be leveling off a bit, so I feel good about what I've managed so far. I'm getting ready to try him on cereal a little early since he shows all the "signs" that he's ready and I've been supplementing with formula and don't have any weird feelings about doing that.

But I wanted to try and stick it out until January (when I go back to work) and my mommy gut isn't giving me any clear direction on this one. I always feel so good after a clog clears, but they're wearing me down and I feel like I'm missing out of these early days with DS because half my brain is in pain....

For the record, my clog prevention/treatments are:
lecithin
800mg ibuprofin
massage, massage, massage, massage
various boob shaking/tickling
hot compresses
hot baths
hot rice in sock
ice packs (for pain, not much help at 3am though)
fluids
cabbage leaves on the location of the clog
pumping in the car
Okay, this might be TMI, but sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can suck the clog out myself (sorry, weird, I know!!)

I feel like I'm missing one... anyway, suggestions also welcome!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 7:18am

It really does sound like you're doing everything you can to get rid of/prevent clogs, so I'm not sure I can offer you anything further then what you are already doing!?

How many times a day to you pump and how long are your sessions?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 9:20am

Just a few more thoughts on the clogs

* Are you wearing underwired bras ? That can sometimes cause clogs
* Did you try changing your horn size ? wrong size can lead to not emptying completely which can cause clogs
* After you finish your pumps, have you checked your nipples, there can be surface level clogs, which ultimately leads to deeper painful clogs. I normally get this all the time. I just make sure, there are no surafce level plugs, or if I see a milk bleb forming, I nip it early enough

<<>>, clogs can be a real pain.

Hope you find a solution pretty fast and whatever you decide, best wishes with that. You definitely deserve a pat on the back for sticking around for 3 months.

And just my 2 cents on the cereal situation, as you said, try to postpone it as far as possible. Supplement with formula instead of cereal.

Good Luck!

Photobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucketworking&Pumping

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 9:38am

I pump pretty much every four hours; with the lecithin I've been able to go five hours at night without an noticible increase in clogs (I was having clogs at the same rate even when I was pumping every two hours). I've also just been wearing moderately loose sports bras since I started and I pump a few minutes after the "last drop". I have a very slow letdown, though, so each pumping session lasts from 35 - 45 minutes.

Your idea about surface clogs is interesting, because I suspect there's something analagous going on. I had nipple piercings about 8 years ago (took them out when I got pregnant), and I wonder if scar tissue has caused some sort of problem (I always get the clogs in my left breast, in the same spot....)

I actually had an ultrasound on the breast ordered by my doc because she was worried it could be caused by something more insidious. Fortunately, they didn't find anything remarkable. Granted, the radiologist admitted he's usually looking for cancer or absesses, and wasn't too familiar with the whole lactating end of things. Specialization is weird sometimes!

Yeah, I'll probably wait on the cereal... the only reason is that he is really showing all the signs of being interested in people food (reaches for it, mimics eating faces, has doubled his weight, sits up propped and holds his head up well, moves the tongue around in different directions, has lost the tongue thrust...) We've had a game of feeding him EBM with a spoon for about a week now which he thinks is hilarious and is pretty stinkin' cute. Whenever we do move on to cereal, it's definitely gonna be very milked-down and a slow process...with the spoon. And if he's not ready for that, we'll just wait another month. But most folks seem to say let the baby determine when solids happen, not the calendar, and baby seems pretty ready.

Nevertheless, I was hoping BM was gonna be a big part of things for another couple months.... I'm just still torn!! Every clog seems to drop my supply a bit, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just gonna clog myself into weaning! :(

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 6:07pm
I'm in the same boat as you are.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 7:27pm
I don't really have advice, but just want to offer support. I get clogs too, though definitely not as frequently as you do. I think if your sanity needs it, then it is okay to quit. I know when I get clogs I can't help but be in a bad mood just because of the constant pain. It must be horrible to always feel thay way. You have definitely made it lots farther than probably the average mom. And, Quinn is obviously thriving and growing! If you really need to quit because of the pain, then I think you should do what your gut is telling you to do. I definitely encourage you to keep going if it is in you, but that kind of pain just isn't easy to live with. If you decide to throw in the towel, try not to beat yourself up. You have done wonderfully for you LO in the first 3 months, so try not to let the guilt eat you up! Whatever you decide, we support you either way! Best of luck and keep us updated.

Shannon

mommy to Guerin Grace

Shannon

mommy to Guerin Grace

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-01-2008 - 10:46pm

I'm totally impressed that you can suck the clog out yourself, lol!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2008 - 3:19pm

Hey, I wanted to thank y'all for your great help/feedback/encouragement! I ended up with a mondo-clog that just weirdly never resolved itself... basically half that breast dried up (not mastitis, either, I've had that before, ugh!) Anyway, now tita-right is about twice as big as tita-left, but I haven't had a clog in a week and a half-woot!

I started slowly cutting down my pumps, thinking, this is it, I'm gonna HUTH, but now that I'm down to 32oz a day at 4 pumps, and haven't had clogs in "so long", I guess I'll keep trying... Plus, and this is so weird, DS seems to have cut down his eating from 42+ oz a day to about 30!! Okay, that's just spooky to me.

Anyway, thanks again, I don't think I would have lasted the first month without this board! Y'all rock!

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker