Duh! Weaning = Less Ounces

iVillage Member
Duh! Weaning = Less Ounces
Fri, 11-21-2008 - 11:21am

So, I'm seeing a decrease now that I'm down to 3x a day. And part of me is starting to panic because my spreadsheet has moved "the day" out two days. A part of me is panicking because I'm making less than he eats and number of prepped bottles in the fridge is going down. It doesn't help that I think he is going thru a growth spurt right now and is downing 5 oz in the middle of the night!

Part of me is thinking I need to add a pump back in because I'm getting less milk... but I have to remind myself that I'm weaning and that is suppose to be happening! The plan is to be making less and less and cruise into his first birthday on freezer stash.

My spreadsheet predicts when I can stop based on the past couple of weeks output and DS's daily intake and how much I have in the freezer. Right now it is saying Thanksgiving. And I'm starting to panic because I was going to drop to 2x a day on Wednesday. I'm just being silly because dropping to 2x a day isn't the same as weaning cold turkey. If I continue to pump up to his birthday, I only need to produce 8 oz a day and I'm definitely above that.

But it is hard to let go of the obsession to keep the ounces up that I've had for the past year.

-jenni

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

-jenni

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2008 - 11:54am
I just posted about this exact same thing. I'm weaning too, and it's hard to let go of this obsession with producing my milk that has been my life for the last half year. Every day when my total ounces goes down, I feel depressed about it, even though this is part of something I've planned. You are definitely not alone!
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2008 - 11:56am

Jenni, just wanted to say what you are experiencing is completely normal. As you know I dropped down to 2 pumps a day and am Loving it. But as you said, yes I am making less milk than when I was at 3x a day. I am on vacation next week and I just told my DH that I am going to take a pumping vacation and pump every 2 hrs to UP my supply, and of course he looked at me like I am a basket case :)

I just could not let my supply decrease like it has.

So i am now focussing on what I can do to pamper myself next week instead of doing the crazy pumping thingy that I originally had in mind .

So just wanted to say, you are not alone, we have lots of looney characters here TeeHeeHee!!

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2008 - 3:47pm

Does you're spreadsheet have macros and everything???? ;-)

You've done a great job getting to a one year Jenni - it must be really hard seeing the fridge stash decreasing, but just keep your mind on the goal of freedom from the pump! And hey, if you're weaned by thanksgiving, you'll be able to get properly drunk! (Do you drink at Thanksgiving? I'm guessing so.., but what would I know!!)

Good luck with it!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-22-2008 - 9:25pm
I just read your post. It sounds like there are a couple of us who are all weaning at the same time. Glad to know I'm not alone.

-jenni

-jenni

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-22-2008 - 9:29pm

Err... maybe... it is just a little macro because I'm too lazy to go to the menu for Goal Seek.

Well, I probably won't be getting drunk for Thanksgiving... not only because I'll still be pumping 2x a day, but because I don't drink (well I actually average 1 drink every 3-4 years...). But I'll be able to drink all the Dr Pepper I want (ooh, I'm so wild)! I've been limiting myself to one caffeinated beverage a day.

-jenni

-jenni

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-22-2008 - 11:27pm
I'm right here with you girls. My HUTH day is Dec. 7th, and it's HARD seeing the numbers decrease every day! Right now I'm making a little less than half of what my total used to be, and that is TOUGH! My precious boy is now getting only 2 BM bottles a day, 3 formula. :( But I just keep reminding myself that in order to wean, one has to stop making milk... *rolling eyes* Oh, I can't wait for the freedom, though! :)
Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-27-2008 - 8:13pm

Hi all ~ I haven't even started weaning yet and I'm already feeling this way. My plan has been to be done pumping by Christmas. My question for you all is : Should I have started cutting back already? How long does it take to wean off the pump? I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, but I don't want to start too early either. I'm so dreading seeing the number of ounces dwindle each day since each day for 9 mos has been a struggle to keep up with LO.

Here's a good laugh for you. ;-)

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-29-2008 - 6:03am

Me too, Jenni. I don't know why I bother telling my husband that it's hard to see the supply go down. He looks at me like I'm crazy....

I am traveling by airplane on Dec. 15th, it will be my first night away from the kids. My goal was to leave the pump behind when I go. I don't think I'm going to make it! It's like this security thing now. I have barely gone anywhere without it for over a year!

Kathy

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-29-2008 - 10:44pm

Would you be willing to share your spreadsheet or a template of it? I'd love to use something like that to help me figure out how long it's going to take to wean depending on how I do it. Please email me through my profile if you are. Thanks! ;-)