daily diary of my weaning

iVillage Member
daily diary of my weaning
Thu, 12-04-2008 - 2:56am

Ok so i havent been a member here for long but i thought id post updates on my weaning to help others, as im currently trying to find out how long it takes and how long itll be painful ect and theres not too much info.

so yesterday at my morning pump i had a total and complete breakdown and afterwards me and my SO decided i should start think about weaning. up untill then i was

Tobias.....Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Proudly pumped for for 4 months and still chugging through the freezer stash

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2008 - 4:14am

***Hugs!*** It sounds like weaning is the best option for you right now. I know that there is info on www.kellymom.com about weaning. Also, our CL weaned cold-turkey, which you might be interested in doing. There are also herbs (sage is one) that you can take to decrease your milk supply. Be careful because you do not want to end up with mastisis. Hopefully you will get some other advice. There is a lot of weaning on the board recently.

It is quite possible that you have PPD. It's very common. Have you considered talking to your doc about it? I am not an expert, but crying a lot and having a hard time getting through the day sound like symptoms of PPD. Being a new mom is hard enough without having to deal with PPD! You should be happy!

GL and I wish you the best of luck!

Mary Kay, mommy to Ana Patricia (born 7/18/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Kay, mother to:

Ana Patricia - 7/18/07

Christina Maria - 8/28/10
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2008 - 11:08am

I could have written this post myself...well 8 months or so ago, when I weaned! ;o)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2008 - 2:50pm

I hope your weaning goes well

If you find that you are still having issues w/ crying each day even after you wean, please check w/ your dr about post partume depression. I thought it was somnething that only happened right after you have the babay, but come to find out it can happen months after the baby.

I was riding a high for three months after Max was born, but at about the 3rd month I kind just hit a wall, it was

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-05-2008 - 1:51am

wow your right you could have written the same thing lol i feel exactly the way you described and that just made me feel so normal and like im not a freak for being so stressed and taking it out on my loved ones and like you said the worst is when you let it affect how you act around your lo, i hate it and i end up sitting feeling really guilty all day.

well i hope this doesnt get anoying to anybody but i really am going to update daily-for now at least- cause its making it a bit more barable like its an experiment im giving results for or something hahaha

---so--- today i planned to pump 3x for 20mins and iv done two of those (one more to go before bed) and its been really good my only hiccup was that i ended up doing another little 10min pump on my stud bb cause it was a bit much to go 8hrs so ill end up

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-06-2008 - 3:42am

Day three

today iv stuck to 3x for 18 mins and havnt felt bad at all i didnt even use cabbage. i havnt done the last pump but will when i get off the net. i recorded how much i made today and so far its 17 oz so ill guess itll be about 25 oz after the last pump. i think halving my supply in three days is pretty good like fast enough that i feel like its gonna be over soon but slow enough that im not in pain. so i thinking ill do 3x for 16 mins tomorrow and if that goes well then

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-07-2008 - 5:05am

--Day four--

well after making my big plan i changed my mind this morning lol and i only pumped 2x for 16 mins each iv been a tad sore but only pumped 15 oz out so thats good, i think ill do the same again tomorrow till i settle a bit more n then reduce again once im not so uncomfortable. oh and the lumpy milk is gone, but im definately only pumping foremilk so im glad its not the only thing im giving my lo or he'd be having a rough time. its quite strange looking cause the milks so thin and watery that its clear at the bottom of the bottles once its been refridgerated and my milk used to be creamy as when i was getting all the hindmilk out. anyway now im just getting off on a tangent

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2008 - 10:39am
sounds like you're doing well! best wishes for the rest of your weaning!
Photobucket

Mommy to Ian Taiwai (born 4/26/07).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2008 - 11:09pm

Hey Kezabobeza - I'm trying to wean right now too, I have to say you're way more organized than me!

Jilly, mom to Elizabeth (Nov. 25, 2007)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 2:26am

Thanks to all of you for your kind words over my weaning experience. iv finally done it. DONE!!!!! well i dont pump anymore and havnt for bout 5 days the first few i hand expressed in the shower as i figured id get less out than if i pump cause even when i dropped down to 12 mins i was getting 100ml +. so now i dont express at all but still leak a little after my shower. its so crazy how much nicer my nips feel its like id gotten used to always being sore and now that im not i feel amazing. i must admit i do feel a tad sad when i look at my pump so im planning on putting it all away tomorrow cause im quite sure i wont need it. im not sad that i weaned just kinda sad im not lactating anymore (well technically i am cause i leak but not really) and i feel a little like pumping was an extension of pregnancy somehow so now that im not pumping the whole era is over :( but now mummyhood has begun so its ok. anyway i just stopped in to say weaning went superbly and im done now so thank you all very very very much as i never would have been able to give my son so much bm with out this site. i can now even give him partial bm till he is 6 months cause i managed to get a killer freezer stash of 1014 oz. so happy pumping to you all and happy weaning to all of you who have reached that time.

oh and i jst thought id say when i last saw my lc we were talking bout my next baby and that im nervous cause i dont want to pump again and she said that the 4 months of pumping has actually done me a massive favour by pulling out my flat nips a bit and more importantly softening the surrounding tissue so its more stretchy which makes it easier to latch onto. so all of you out there who are having more bubs will have done yourselves a huge favour by pumping too (she said its not just me but would help most people who had never bf before). Just another benefit of eping :)

ill try to stop in every now and then but ttfn

Kerri