who's all weaning?

iVillage Member
who's all weaning?
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 10:17am

I know there are quite a few of us in the process of weaning, and I think it's nice to keep in touch about it, so...

Who all is weaning? When do you plan on being done? And where are you at now with pumping? Anything else?

I am in the process... I was originally planning on being done by Christmas, but I don't know- maybe New Year's. It's a tough decision. I am pumping 2x a day for about 45-60 minutes. I get at least 20 ounces a day. I really need to start cutting down on the time I pump, but just have such a habit of emptying the breasts. I am hoping to move down to one pump in a week or so. I feel good that by the time I wean my LO will have had 9 months of fresh bm. I also have a huge freezer stash that will take LO to at least a year. I am ready to be done, it's just that whole mother's guilt thing to deal with now!

Ky

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 10:49am

i'm trying to wean but i'm still very ambivalent about it. i don't have any set goal by which i want to be weaned. i've just cut back to 3x on the weekends, and even though i do 4x during the week when i work i've shortened those pump sessions, especially the one first thing in the morning.

i've seen a massive supply drop which makes me very sad, even though i'm supposed to be weaning. *sigh*

old habits die hard, i guess! at least for me!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 1:02pm

I'm such a mess...Yesterday I was considering ordering Domperidone and today I'm considering weaning. Six months was my long-term goal so I've been trying to decide what to do at the end of this month when we reach it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Steph, mom to Alex (12/2/06) and Claire (6/30/08)

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 5:30pm

Me too, I'm weaning but very ambivalent.

Jilly, mom to Elizabeth (Nov. 25, 2007)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 5:36pm
I'm probably about half way. I'm doing exactly what I thought I would do but for some reason it seems to be going slower than I was thinking. I'm currently at 2x20 minutes (starting today). I'll probably see an even bigger drop in the coming weeks. I've always gotten about 80% of EBM during the first 15 minutes.

-jenni

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

-jenni

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2008 - 11:44am
I've been weaning. Nola is almost 10 months. I'm at 2x per day, 20 mins each. I've never been willing to pump for more than 20 mins at a stretch, so my supply started dropping quite a bit already at 5x per day. I'm down to 7-8oz per day now. For now, my goal is to keep up the pumping until the 10 month mark. I was considering retaining one pump per day after that, but given the drastic drop in my production, that little amount seems hardly worth it. We'll see. This sure is an emotionally difficult process, isn't it? I like the post that says "duh. fewer pumps=fewer ounces." We KNOW that, but it's hard to accept.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2008 - 6:07pm

I have weaning fever too! One of these days I am going to post a weaning thread, but I am so busy at school right now! I'm currently dropping from 4x to 3x and having a hard time. My BBs are so full and I feel like pumping to relieve them. I'm not ready to start losing oz yet by using meds and herbs. Right now I pump when I get up, which was 6:30 yesterday and 9:00 today (I was up late grading papers). Then I pump around 2:30, later today since I got up late. I'm trying to start making this pump later. Around 8:30 I am so engorged that I pump again. Then, I pump before I go to bed (around 1 am last night). It is taking a lot of time to drop to 3x. When I dropped pumps in the past it was really easy. It was usually unplanned, as I just couldn't keep up the previous pump schedule.

I have always been a slow pumper and now my pumps are taking forever. I think I might start using lecithin. I've been taking hot showers to get the milk out. I fear mastisis and even clogs. The last several months have been so easy for me pump-wise. Actually, the last year has gone really smoothly. It was really the first few months that were terrible. Now that I want to quit, I'm having some troubles.

Mary Kay, mommy to Ana Patricia (born 7/18/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Kay, mother to:

Ana Patricia - 7/18/07

Christina Maria - 8/28/10
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2008 - 8:41pm
I am--went down from 4-5x/20min to 3x/20min and have been doing this for over a week.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2008 - 10:59pm
Well, I'm not officially letting myself think I'm weaning... but I've dropped to 3x/day and my supply just kinda keeps going down and I'm not doing anything to stop it. I think it's good for my psyche to sorta let go little bit by little bit. I contemplate going to twice/day and I have a couple times but I go back to 3x/day. I'm making between 18-20 oz/day which is just under what my DD intakes so I supplement with my freezer stash- about one bag every other day. I waver between just weaning altogether and keeping on! And I just can't DECIDE on a set date to actually stop. I've always planned for her to have BM until 1 yr. and now I'm just trying to decide if I should keep at 3x for it to be mostly fresh BM or if I should wean more and supp more with frozen. Maybe one day I will just have had enough and quit!! :) For as incredibly difficult as the first EIGHT (or nine) months of EPing were for me, all of a sudden it seems like such a part of my life I don't know how to decide to stop! But I know my DH is ready for it!!! I guess that can be a good motivator too for me! :) I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this boat! :) Jenae
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 6:10am
Hi y'all, count me in too. I only pumped once yesterday, and I'm going to try to stick to that until my body feels ready to drop it altogether without causing me too much pain! I was going to try and keep it up until my twins were 15 months, but this has started to feel like an arbitrary goal at this point.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 8:13am

Oops, I thought

Shannon

mommy to Guerin Grace

Pages