Supplementing for earlier weaning?

iVillage Member
Supplementing for earlier weaning?
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 9:42am

In the past I have received such great advice on this board whenever I've had a question, thank you all so much! So now I have another one and I'm not sure if my logic makes any sense, so please bear with me. To me it seems like it would be better to give some bm, even previously frozen in addition to formula for the first year, instead of weaning at 9 months and feeding only formula for the next 3.

I am really tired of not being able to eat "people food". DS is allergic to wheat, nuts and eggs in my diet. I'm allergic to eggplant and eat very little meat (certain kinds of fish on major holidays). It's almost impossible to eat out. I'm jealous of DH and his pancakes and pb&j sandwiches. I'm hungry all the time. I bake all our bread and it's killing me... I am so sick of rice and baked potatoes! I don't want to go without these foods anymore, even though I do feel selfish since DS will be stuck on this diet until he (hopefully) out grows his allergies.

So what I'm thinking of doing is when DS turns 7 months (12/22/8) I will start giving him 20 oz of breast milk + however much formula he needs + solids. I will freeze the rest of my milk until I have 3 months worth @ 20oz a day. Then I will drop down gradually and wean by 9 months. He will then get frozen bm + formula until one year. I already have a decent freezer stash that I cycle regularly.

Is this a bad idea? Would it be better to give him bm and no formula for 9 months and then just switch completely over to formula?

I hope this makes sense. Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Dante 3 months
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 10:32am

i'm no expert, but i would think that once

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 11:37am

Thank you for your response!

I guess what I was trying to figure out, was if frozen bm is still better than formula, would it be better for DS to still receive at least some of it for a longer period of time, or would a more concentrated amount be better while his system is younger? You're probably right and it's a toss up. This all might be a moot point anyway, I tried giving him 3oz of enfamil mixed with 3.5oz ebm yesterday. He liked it just fine, but then had ***TMI warning*** 6 bowel movements that were green and full of mucus, very gross. He was fussy, congested and spat up almost non stop for the rest of the day. He also developed horrible diaper rash, which is unusual for him. I will try another brand/type in a week, but if he only tolerates one of the super expensive brands, then I'll just keep pumping.

I need to branch out more with my cooking. I'm kind of new at it, since I didn't really do it at all before my transition to a SAHM during my pregnancy. I had kind of turned my back (temporarily!) on Chinese and Thai restaurants since a lot of peanut oil is used in cooking, but honestly if I make it at home I could use something else. I had completely forgotten those rice noodles even existed until you reminded me, thank you! Indian food has been helpful, a lot of meat free, egg free, rice based dishes like palaak paneer (yum) but so far I am awful at making it at home. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll keep trying. Sushi is safe and mexican food made with corn tortillas... I guess there are quite a few things I can eat. I guess I just have a hard time planning meals at home cheaply and successfully. I miss the fall backs of "Oops that didn't work, here's macaroni and cheese..." The loss of all the holiday treats like pumpkin pie and all those cakes and cookies and ice cream... lol. I guess I just need to be more resourceful and have a more positive attitude. It's just tricky when I have so many family and friends that act like I'm breaking their hearts when I won't eat their casserole or apple pie or something. I am slowly but surely losing weight on this diet and if I try it's actually pretty healthy, all the vegetables, fruits, rice and so on. The more I type the more I realize this probably belongs in the RANT section.

I think I've just gotten discouraged and am looking for an "easy" way out. At the very minimum I plan on pumping for about 2 1/2 months, so I will try to make this diet more tolerable in the mean time and see where I want to go from there. Thanks for letting me hash this out.

Dante 3 months
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 1:07pm

Normally I agree that fresh is always best, but there are benefits of frozen. Even frozen, BM is easier for babies to digest.

It sounds like you really need to pump longer. I can understand your frustration with the restricted diet. My DD had a lot of rashes during her first three months and I went on an elimination diet. I started eliminating a ton of stuff and found that there was nothing left for me to eat! I had to change my plans because I couldn't get enough calories with what was left. So, I'm trying to think of some ideas for you. One thing is that you might want to start eating fish occasionally because your diet is probably low in essential oils. Or, you can take supplements. Nuts are normally a good way for vegetarians to get essential oils, but these are out for you! Here are some ideas for you:

*White bean dip w/ veggies or tortilla chips
*Roasted veggies (parsnips, turnips, carrots, potatoes, squash)
*Soups (like lentil or Minestrone without noodles)
*Steel cut oatmeal
*Apple or pear crisp with blueberries or cherries added
*Oatbran muffins
*Tropical type of soup (Brazilian?) with coconut milk

Here are some good recipe links:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/index.php

http://www.molliekatzen.com/

The good news is that your diet is probably a lot better than what most people eat. It's definitely better than mine. Plus, you might have to start getting used to this if your DS's food allergies persist. GL and let us know what's cooking at your house!

Mary Kay, mommy to Ana Patricia (born 7/18/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Kay, mother to:

Ana Patricia - 7/18/07

Christina Maria - 8/28/10
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 1:47pm

oh, i'm sorry dante reacted badly to the formula. that must have been awful! i hope you find one that sits with him better.

speaking of mac and cheese, we got some rice

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 8:31am
Thanks you for all the recipe ideas and the links. I think I am just going to have to get more creative here. It funny you mentioned the fish thing, my DH and I were just discussing that. I have been slowly reducing the amount of animal products in my diet over many years. I eat fish on the holidays mainly just because it makes family dinners that much easier, although I do like it. But now with all the new restrictions I have started consuming more dairy again and have been considering eating more fish. My DH thinks eating more of the low mercury varieties now would be a good idea during my "child bearing" years and then I could quit later. It would make eating out a lot easier, a lot of places have rice and salmon dishes and such. I am almost completely sold on this idea, it does feel like I am moving backwards, that there would probably be supplements I could find to accomplish the same thing... but probably not as efficiently nor as cost effective.
Dante 3 months
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 8:55am

Wheat and corn is a tricky combination! I use corn tortillas all the time now instead of the flour ones and if I could no longer have the corn ones that would pretty much eliminate half of my cooking... I hope Ian out grows his allergies. My brother was allergic to wheat and I was allergic to dairy and wheat as kids and we both out grew them around age 5.

Velveta shells & cheese used to be my unhealthy comfort food. I will have to try making a homemade version with rice pasta. It's a bit of a drive to the nearest health food store (I live in a small southern town) but I think I'll drag DS & DH down on Friday and check out what they have.

I am very conflicted about the weaning thing. I am going to try another type of formula to see if he can handle it, but I am going to post pone any decision making til 9 months. My mother is really pressuring me to quit now that I broached the subject. I kind of wish I hadn't said anything.

I completely understand about the casseroles with meat and such. I live in Tennessee and even the veggie dishes tend to have meat in them. I ordered the "vegetarian platter" at a restaurant once and there was huge chucks of pork in everything (collard greens, beans, ect.) lol. My in-laws pretty much cook the same way. There is even bacon in the mashed potatoes.

Dante 3 months
pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 11:46am

The info on essential oils is on www.kellymom.com. It says that vegetarian/vegan moms often have milk low in essential oils. Their recommendation is to eat more food rich in essential oils rather than supplementing. Walnuts are a good source, but they are out for you! One thing you could try is flax seed oil if you don't want to go the fish route. You could get some at the health food store. It's a little nasty, but you can put it in smoothies. I think it's not bad on salad. Jo Ann mentioned that she puts a little in Ian's oatmeal. I was planning on trying that. I like fish, but the price is a little too much for me and I am worried about the metals.

The other thing I remembered is that I have tried an egg substitute and it worked great. Here is the link: http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8id=97. The brand is Ener-g and it has the following ingredients: Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate , calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose. You should be able to buy it at the health foods store as well. Of course, if you decide to start baking, you are going to have to buy some non-wheat flours. My advisor at school is wheat-free and he bakes his own bread. I have seen it and it looks like regular bread. Maybe a good project?

Mary Kay, mommy to Ana Patricia (born 7/18/07)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Kay, mother to:

Ana Patricia - 7/18/07

Christina Maria - 8/28/10
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2008 - 12:30am

Thank you for the suggestions! On my trip to the health food store I will see if they have the egg replacer. I have been using apple sauce or just leaving them out with variable results. I read about the flax oil before, but wasn't sure if it was as good of an all around health booster as fish. When I do eat fish I always opt for the low mercury types. My favorites are salmon and eel. Here are some links about mercury levels:

Fish (list at the bottom):

http://www.ewg.org/node/21527

Sushi

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sushimercury.htm

I agree fish can be pricey. My husband was a fish monger briefly, but quit because he couldn't deal with occasionally having to kill things. At one point he rescued a huge lobster and attempted to keep it alive in our bathtub. Sadly he wasn't successful =[ I love his big heart though. He's still friends with the people there so he gets a discount, so that helps.

Dante 3 months
pregnancy calendar