weaning help

iVillage Member
weaning help
Wed, 12-17-2008 - 12:49pm

We have been transitioning DD from BM (I've been EPing for almost 14 months due to latch & reflux issues from birth that never got resolved) to whole milk for a few weeks now (we did it slowly because of some questionable lactose intolerance). When we started introducing whole milk I went from pumping 3x day (getting between 25-30oz) down to 2x day (16-20 oz). She has now been on 100% whole milk for 3 days & is doing great.

Since pumping 2x/day I pump when we get up & around 8pm for about 20 minutes each. Last night I skipped my PM pump because of being too busy at work & I wasn't horribly uncomfortable. And this morning I pumped for 15 minutes. Should I continue like this, just stop or something else? What is the best way to wean myself from pumping to quickly dry up without being totally uncomfortable or getting a clog?

iVillage Member
In reply to: punky0528
Thu, 12-18-2008 - 6:46am

How much did you get with your morning pump?

I'm doing something similar. I was at 1x a day for almost a week until this morning when I just didn't feel like pumping. My goal was to stick with 1x a day until I was down to 4oz. I pumped under 6oz yesterday so I called that close enough. I might pump tonight and go to once every 36 hours for a couple of days if I need to.

-jenni

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

-jenni

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
In reply to: punky0528
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 12:32pm

Since everyone reacts differently to weaning, I think it's best just to "listen" to your body.