Why does it hurt now?!

iVillage Member
Why does it hurt now?!
Thu, 12-18-2008 - 9:13pm
Today is the 11th day since I HUTH. (YAY!) Throughout my entire BF/EP career, I was never a large producer, very rarely got engorged, and never experienced a clog or mastitis. And when I HUTH, I still didn't... until now. It's been a couple of days now that my bbs are just sore, especially the left, which is odd since that was my dud. I'm also leaking some from both sides, which I rarely did before. So I guess I'm just concerned that it's hurting now. I expected that if it was going to hurt, it would within a couple days after I HUTH - not 10. It's especially painful when I'm holding DS and he's pressing against my bb. OUCH! So is this just normal fullness that comes with not having pumped in 11 days? I looked it up on kellymom, and they said that I could still produce a small amount of milk for weeks or months after weaning, so that's nothing to be concerned about. They said that I shouldn't worry about that until it's been more than 6 months. So I just wanted to pop in and see if anybody has any wisdom or insight for me. TIA!
Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 12:35pm

You might just want to pump a little bit on the side that hurts, just in case a clog might form or if it is a clog then to avoid an infection.

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 8:13pm
Yep, same story here. We HUTH about the same time and my boobs are still sore. It's weird because it feels sore like a clog would feel, but it isn't firm at all. In fact, it is sadly kind of flat. These are some sad looking boobies nowadays! Some days I hand express a little milk into a cup to relieve the pain, but it is just strange that I have soreness but no engorgement. Oh well, weaning is an experience in itself! Hope you feel better soon. Hey, I might even be brave enough to sleep braless tonight, boy do I miss that! I have still been wearing breast pads for the leaking, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit. I'm just terrifed of public breast puddles!

Shannon

mommy to Guerin Grace

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Shannon

mommy to Guerin Grace

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 2:59pm
Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not a freak, Shannon! Like you said, it's not a full/engorged kind of feeling, so I don't think that pumping would help. And the way I feel about the pump at this moment, I'd rather just be in pain than have to hook back up to it again!!! It comes and goes, so I think that if it were a clog or infection, then it would hurt all the time... Anyways, I think it'll probably just go away, and if not I'll go see a doc in a few weeks just to make sure all is well. Don't even get me started about how pathetic they look! Ugh! And I tried sleeping braless once last week and ended up with a wet shirt. Plus, it just wasn't very comfortable. So I'm still using my sleep bras, which are VERY comfortable - might just be a permanent thing for me anymore.
Photobucket
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 7:43am

Hey Joni ~ How long did it take for that soreness to go away? I am now 13 days past HUTH and about 3 days ago the underside of my bbs started to get sore. It feels hard like maybe clogged ducts, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I can't exactly pump since I had borrowed the pump I was using so I have since given it back to my SIL (and she lives across the country, so I can't get it back easily). I tried massaging them last night, but they seem to hurt more today. I don't notice much when there is nothing pressing against them, but any kind of pressure hurts (i.e. holding Dylan, leaning on something, laying on them, etc). I'm scared to death of developing an infection or mastitis. I thought by now I'd be past this, but after reading your post I see I'm not safe yet! In any case, I was hoping to find out what happened with you since you are well past this point now. Did you end up seeing a doc?

TIA! :-)