Feeling Guilty About Weaning

iVillage Member
Feeling Guilty About Weaning
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 5:13pm

Started the weaning process a week ago - went from 6 pumps a day, now I'm down to 3.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 11:09am
6 months is awesome!

Photobucket

Alexa

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 11:49am

Aww yes...that's Mommy guilt!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 2:00pm

Oh honey I think you have done a GREAT job! I think every woman on this board is a success for even attempting EPing! I also know that my saying this will only help a little bit and you will still feel guilty for sometime. I recently weaned at 8.5 months and although my goal was 4 months fresh + 2 months frozen and I weaned at 8.5 months fresh + 3 months frozen, I still felt HORRIBLE weaning. I think hormones have a lot to do with it because I have been feeling a lot better since stopping.

I also had a very bumpy ride with way too many clogs and tears, thankfully no infections though. One thing that helped me through that and weaning was that everytime I got a clog or felt like I couldnt do it, I dropped a pump. I didnt care if my supply was impacted at the time, I just did it. I did add minutes back to the other pumps. But that way I dropped pumps almost every 2 weeks from 6 pumps down to 3. I stayed at 3 because I realized by then I was at 5 months and I was magically not getting any clogs (they do disappear around that time). But then I had to start work so I dropped to 2. I realized that my supply was stable even at 2 pumps and that allowed me to come this far. So, I am just saying, do what works for you. If weaning is it, go for it and know that you will always feel guilty doing it and only you know when is the right time for you. Doing it slowly does help with the guilt and sometimes you find a balance and end up pumping much longer than planned!

Whatever you do, know that your ltttle one is a blessed one to have a mom like you.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-11-2009 - 11:34pm
I definitely know that feeling!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 10:35pm

I am feeling the same way, but my daughter just turned 8 months. I feel like all of the reasons to stop are my own. It is so time consuming and I always feel like I need to rush come to pump when we are out somewhere. I would like to continue for the health benefits. How did you get so much milk? I pump about 5 times a day and only get between 11.5 and 13 ounces!!

Once you stop, do the health benefits continue for baby or do they stop with the milk?