Going to 2x/day...YIKES!

iVillage Member
Going to 2x/day...YIKES!
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 1:08am

Hi all

Well, it looks like I need to go ahead and drop to 2x/day. RIght now I pump every 9-11 hours (sometimes 2x/day and sometimes 3x/day) I had not planned on dropping this early but I just got switched from night shift to day shift.
I am a CCU nurse and right now I work 7p-7a. I can pump once at work without too much trouble. But starting Monday I will be working 7a-7p. I just really doubt I will be able to sneak away for 45 min during the day shift to go pump (ya know, set up..pump..cleanup) as it is much much busier during the day and most of the time day shift nurses don't even get a break!

So I will have to pump before and after work. 5:30 am and 7:30 pm
That's 14 hours! YIKES!

I am going to take a little tupperware bowl with me so I can sneak off and hand express for a few minutes if I need to.

I know I'll likely loose a good deal of my supply (currently 26-32 oz/day) but hopefully I can make it at 2x/day for a few more months. I have a huge freezer stash so as long as DS will drink it then we should be set for a few months.

Right now my goal is one year which is right around the corner!

Liz

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Collier 8 months

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 1:21am

hey Liz it's me your twin again LOL. Funny, I just posted about turning 9 months and thinking of weaning because of decreased supply, and here you are worried about dropping to 2x and losing supply... are we ever NOT on the same page? LOL

I know how you feel, I would be scared to drop to 2x too... my supply took a real big hit when I dropped from 4 to 3, and I got clogs and mastitis for the first time when I dropped. Do u think you could manage a quickie pump at work? Like 15 mins or so? It's not gonna empty you but atleast it'll help keep the engorgement and clogs at bay.

Good luck and let us know it goes!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 3:12am

Haha. We are so funny. I just replied to your post before seeing you had replied to mine!

I am going to try to hand express at work if possible. It takes too long to set up the pump and then clean up so I figured 15 min of hand express would be better than 10 min with the pump and 5 min of setup/cleanup. Gonna try that.

When did you drop to 3x? Are you still getting clogs? I got clogs when I started pumping every 10 hours instead of every 8. But that seems to be adjusting. I'm sure I'll get clogs going to 2x but that should adjust too.

We have that huge freezer stash that is just sitting there so it may be a good thing that I am being forced to drop down to 2x/day.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Liz

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 8:52pm

I dropped to 3x around a month ago, and I got clogs 2x and mastitis 1x. I'm scared to drop to 2x coz my boobs aren't high capacity (LOL) and I'm SURE I'm gonna get more clogs when that happens. It's funny how I used to pump 6x and never complained... now that I'm doing 3x I can't stop yapping LOL! I guess 9 months of doing this just takes its toll on you...

Let me know how it goes with 2x/day. When do you officially start?

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-06-2009 - 6:23am

I am going to start with the 2x/day on Saturday - 5:30am/5:30pm when I am not working and 5:30am/7:30pm on days I do work (only 2-3 days per week thank goodness)

I'll keep you updated.

I am mentally preparing myself that we may need to dip into the freezer. It's so funny....here I stress over having all that milk in the freezer (2500 oz) and worry that it will never get used and all go to waste and now that we are approaching the time to start using it I am freaked out about HAVING to use it!

You are definitely right - 9 mo of doing this really does take a toll on you.

And like someone said in your other thread - it is in our nature to microanalyze every last drop of BM. (Drives my husband bonkers!)

Glad to hear you are going to hang in there.

For me, sometimes I think 12 mo is my goal, sometimes 15 mo (to get thru flu season), sometimes 18 mo. At the very least 12 mo.

Liz

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 4:25pm

Hey Liz! Just checking on you wondering how 2x/day was going for you. Take care.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 4:59pm

Its going great! I am so glad I did it!
At 3x/day I was getting about 36 oz and now I am down to 24 oz, which is fine.

I now know I can make it to one year. Two months to go!

Thanks for checking on me. :-)

Liz

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 4:00pm
You guys are awseome. I am approaching 5 months and I can't bare to think of going more than one more month. I wanted to go to a year but I don't see how I can. My supply has gone WAY down for some reason I can't figure out, and I just don't see the point anymore. I just wish I made more than 10oz a day, I'd probably keep going if it wasn't so depressing to look in the bottles. I see 2 oz after 20 minutes of pumping, I just can't do that anymore. Y'all are such troopers.
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Graphics

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-26-2009 - 3:04am
I know exactly what you re going through :/
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-26-2009 - 5:48pm

I'm at almost 13 months, and at around 5-6 months my suppy dropped, too, but slowly but surely it went back up--not sure why, but my LC theorized that it had something to do with LO starting solids. Our boobs are smart--they "know" those things! Now, I'm having the opposite problem--trying to wean myself down! :-)

Don't be discouraged--even if it is only 2oz, you're still doing something amazing!

Dane

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 6:38pm
What schedule did you finally settle on for the 2x/day? I'd like to compare. I'm slowly dropping minutes from my middle of the day pump right now. I pump at 5 AM and would like to pump at 8 PM while on a 2x schedule. I hate pumping when LO is awake so I don't want to move the evening one any earlier if I don't have to!

Lilypie

Biggest Loser Team "Yummy Mummies"

Pages