Need Help Weaning when prone to clogs

iVillage Member
Need Help Weaning when prone to clogs
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 12:14am
I desperately need help weaning from exclusively pumping 6-7xs/day...I tried to breastfeed and went to lactation consultants 4 times, but baby just can't latch properly and I was in agony. I have been pumping since the beginning and baby has eaten nothing but bm, but I simply cannot take the schedule and stress anymore. I am at home with the baby all day, so can't pump at a regular schedule, which many times causes clogs. Then at night, if I get 3 hours of sleep in between pumps it is a miracle, but most of the time it is 2 hours or less. I want to enjoy this time with the baby and for my own sanity and to benefit him, need to stop. I just don't understand how to wean when I am prone to clogs? I produce an average of 36 oz/day. Any advice would be so welcome!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 10:09am

The best way for you is likely to cut minutes off each session...here is a link to some helpful weaning info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-from-pump.html

You might want to try a combination of these suggestions...just go with your comfort level.

I am also prone to clogs, infections etc. so I used the minute route and gradually worked my way down before I started just dropping sessions...be sure to feel the boobies daily to see what they can handle...large hard bumps are an indication of moving too fast since potential clogs are forming, so be watchful and go with comfort over speed.

GL! :o)

Photobucket

CL of the Exclusively Pumping Board
Proud Retired EP'er for Parker and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 1:12am

Hopefully, you are doing well with your weaning.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 1:25am
Thank you so much for your advice! I am still at pumping 6x/day and am having trouble doing any less than that without getting clogged up...how did you do it? Did you just keep stretching out the time between sessions more and more? I have tried going more than 4 1/2 hours in between sessions and have had no success other than getting hard as a rock...it's been incredibly frustrating and I just don't know what to do.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 10:04am
So do you know that you are getting clogs for sure?
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 11:02am

I have a different spin.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 1:48pm
I will definitely try that out and see how it goes. I never thought to pump just a little bit in between the real sessions. Thank you so much for the suggestion, super helpful. I will let you know how it goes.