Weaning after 18 mos! (story)

iVillage Member
Weaning after 18 mos! (story)
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 11:29am

Hello All,
I am finally weaning after 18 months. Thanks to the CLs of this board and to the users for making an outstanding board that helped my baby and I in so many ways.

I was going to wean after 6-8 months, but as it turned out, it seemed that my DD had an issue with formula and full-fat yogurt, and we thought it had to do with cow's milk. I continued on to 1 yr, and tried giving her Lactaid at 1 yr. She vomited. We tried soy milk. She developed eczema. So I continued EPing after 1 yr.

We finally got her tested and found out she's allergic to cow's milk, eggs and soy (the test also revealed an allergy to peanuts, which we wouldn't have given her anyway at her age).

She seems to be doing OK on goat's milk, and we also tried the hypo-allergenic baby formula Enfamil Nutramingen. That works, too, and the allergist we brought her to said we could give her either one, as long as we supplemented goat's milk with vitamins.

So with a heavy heart, I am weaning. I think it will be better for us all, but I am sad about not giving DD any more breast milk. Also, I was making so much milk that we gave our older DD (just turned 4) breast milk, too, on a daily basis.

I am also a 2-time EPer. I EPed for 6 months with our older DD, but apparently was doing some things wrong, as I was never able to produce enough to fully meet her needs. We always supplemented with formula.

This time, by following the valuable advice on this board and other places, I was able to produce 50-60 oz/day at my peak.

Now I'm pumping 1-2 x/day and we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again, and will be checking back in soon.

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 10:07pm

Great news and congrats for all you have offered and done for your LO...just think, w/o you she would have had more upset tummy than the typical baby!

18 months is truly wonderful...now go reward yourself with a new do or get your nails done Mama...you deserve it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 3:49pm
Thanks, I appreciate it! :)
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 4:46am
Congrats, that is a tough story. You just never know what your little ones will be allergic to and I'm sorry yours is allergic to some of the staples.
DAWN Mom to Adelaide Grace 3/25/08