When to quit?

iVillage Member
When to quit?
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 3:22pm

I guess I'm thinking of weaning and wondering how long other people managed to (or plan to) pump?

At first I kept pumping because I believed my baby having bm was more important than losing that amount of time with her each day. She's 6 months now and I'm feeling like I'm missing out on that time, and maybe it isn't worth the tradeoff anymore. I don't get to spend any time with her in the morning because I'm pumping, and work kinda long days (pumping at work makes me stay even longer), so I only see her maybe 1.5 hours at night before she goes to sleep.

I remember seeing a link to some kind of "what bm gets you each month" article, and 6 months was when their gut closes and maybe the immune benefits aren't quite as high? I couldn't find the link again. I'm one of those people that has to justify my decision.

I really want to quit, to spend more time with my baby, and also selfish reasons like my nips still hurting 24/7... how do you quit without feeling so guilty about it?

iVillage Member
In reply to: cheesy02
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 7:55am

I know what you mean. We're in the same boat. My baby is almost 7 months and I just decided to start weaning. Hardest decision I ever made. I think that there isn't a way to not feel guilty. From what I've read on here, everyone who HUTH feels guilty no matter when they do it. I think the important thing is to focus on the positives and be proud of yourself for what you've done for your baby. I know that most babies do not get 6 months worth of breast milk, especially if you're a working mom. Be proud and do what you think is best.

I also understand feeling selfish about it. I feel like all my reasons for quitting are selfish, but then I remember, happy mommy happy baby. You'll be a lot less stressed and you'll get to enjoy more one on one with your baby!

I guess I would think that the LO doesn't really care that she's getting a little more immunity. I think she'll love that she's getting more time with mommy.

Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time taking care of little stuff to take care of her and not enough just with her, like pumping, her laundry, cleaning the cloth diapers, making sure her bottles and my pumping parts are clean, bagging extra milk, etc. I'm happy that when I'm done weaning I will have a lot fewer of these extra little jobs to do.

Like I said, remember that you're awesome for doing this for 6 months. Most women go straight to formula when there are breast feeding problems, so you're a superhero.

Sorry so long. I just went through this argument with myself not 3 days ago, so these are the conclusions I came to. I hope they help.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 9:59am

PP is right, in that quitting at any stage is hard.

DAWN Mom to Adelaide Grace 3/25/08
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 9:24pm

This post hits home with me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 9:59pm
I'm pumping as I type this - but it will be one of my last.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 4:11pm

I know these posts are a little old, but I HAD to comment as you have all just expressed my inner thoughts and emotions exactly!

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 6:18am

Not exactly "weaning advice", but one suggestion for anyone who is struggling with the idea of weaning to spend more time with baby, is to dramatically cut down on the number of pumps, and use BM as just an "immunity booster" rather than an exclusive