weaning and adding formula: problems

iVillage Member
weaning and adding formula: problems
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 9:52pm
Hi
I hope you can help. I am weaning my 6 and a half month old and have started adding 1,5 to 2 ounces of formula to my son's 3 ounces of BM in his bottle. Terrible constipation ensued. I am panicking because I simply do not produce enough to feed him, and cannot continue pumping at work and do not have enough frozen beyond the next few days...
At the advice of his pediatrician I switched to a sensitive formula, used glycerin suppositories and a bit of Miralax. We finally had one poop yesterday, after two days of nothing. And since yesterday, nothing. Kid is uncomfortable and crying. Mommy is miserable.
Did you have this experience? How do you switch to formula? How do you help a constipated baby? I think this last question is something that a doc will help me with but only you guys can help me navigate this issues of introducing and switching to formula. THANKS.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 12:32am

I also introduced formula at 6.5 months but thankfully Elena didn't seem to have any issues with it in the bowel department. However when I started giving her more solid foods later on she developed a bad bout of constipation for a few days and one little ounce of prune juice 2 days in a row cleared her right up! If he won't drink it straight, try mixing it with a little milk or formula, or if he's eating solids yet try it with applesauce. That's how Elena took it.

Good luck with finding a formula that works for him. You may find that you have to try a few different brands.

Photobucket
Lilypie

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket