Stick a fork in me....

iVillage Member
Stick a fork in me....
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 1:09am

Well, we did it. We made it to 16 months of pumping. I have weaned. I am done!!!

I did not want to be an EPer. I was devastated that my baby could not nurse. But I wanted him to have breast milk like my other 2 children who had nursed, so I sat down and I pumped. And I cried while I pumped.
This was one of the hardest things I have ever done, both physically and emotionally. At some point along the way it did get easier. The pumping became part of my routine. I did find joy in providing the best that I could for my baby.
And in the past few months it became hard to think about quitting. I did not want to think about not being able to give him his bottle of breast milk. It was that motivation that got us to 16 months.

I hope to be on here from time to time to support other moms who are having to embark on this journey. It is definitely not something that can be done alone.

God Bless,

Liz

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 7:10am

Wow, congratulations. That is IMMENSE! Sixteen months! I'm inspired -- I'm only at 7, and praying I have the wherewithal to make it to one year. Good for you and thanks for sharing the victory. Take care!

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:27am

Liz!!! Great to hear an update. You helped me so very much along the way. We had such similar stories. Congrats to you!!!!!! What an accomplishment. Any advice on weaning? I'm struggling with it currently. My son just turned one and I have a large freezer stash so I need to wean. But I struggle emotionally and physically. I'm so prone to clogs that I had a bad experience trying to go to 3x a day back in March. Still pumping 4x/day and now reducing minutes. Down to 25 min in the am and only 10 min the other 3 times but still get 35 or so ounces per day. I'm thinking I need to drop to 3 then 2 pumps pretty quick or my supply is just going to stay the same because it's so used to making the same amount. I didn't realize weaning would be so hard.

Again - CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 11:34pm

There is definitely discomfort with weaning.

I stretched out my pumps rather than shortening the minutes. To go from 4x to 3x I just bit the bullet and did it, but I kept my pumps at 40 min because that is how long it took me to empty.

But to go from 3x to 2x I pumped every 10 hours for a few days and then finally got to every 12 hours.

But I was still pumping for 45-50 min for the most part.

Liz

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 3:18am
Thank you for posting about your EP experience. I am new on these boards, 6 weeks pp, and push myself to keep pumping every single day. Thank you for the inspiration. Right now I can't imagine going 16 months. Wow! I am currently feeling the physical and emotional drain that you mention and I hope that I have the motivation to continue as long as you have!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 4:37pm

As you stated, you just have to take it day by day, and sometimes pump by pump....
It does get easier, as I'm sure you have read on this board. Your bbs will become less sensitive and you will get to drop pumps Halleluia!!!

Hang in there and you may be surprised at how long you are able to do it.

Liz

Collier 8 months
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 12:52am
Liz congrats to you momma!! i'm also 16 months but have not decided to stop yet i'm done to 1 pump aday.. I guess i'm pretty close the other day i nearly forgot to pump.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 6:56pm

YAY for you, I was aining for 15 mo., but

Kim

Mom to Penelope Rose 05/08/09

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 2:14am

That's so awesome Liz! I'm so happy for you. IKWYM about being conflicted to stop. Everytime I think about stopping I get all panicky. I can't even bring myself to drop to 2x! Haha...

Thanks for all your guidance and advice. I really appreciated it. I'm seven weeks away from a year. You helped me get here. Thank you again!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Married to Aaron 06/14/06

Diagnosed PCOS 11/07

FTM/SAHM to Avery Joy born 07/24/09

Currently writing a book about Exclusively Pumping!!!
Exclusively Pumping