weaning questions

iVillage Member
weaning questions
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 6:02am

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a while - so much helpful information! I currently pump 6x a day for about 20 minutes and I'm looking to wean (I produce about 30 ounces per day). I looked at the kelly mom link and it sounds good except I'm a little confused if I should be emptying my breasts fully or not. For example, if I choose to go the "dropped pump" route, do I still fully empty my breasts during the other sessions? Or do I just pump until I'm a little more comfortable?

Also, I'm afraid I'm prone to clogs in one of my breasts and that makes weaning seem like a formidable task. And, of course I'd like to do it a little quicker, as I have to travel next week and would like to at least not be as dependent on the pump as I am now. Any advice? Or do I just need to be patient? And should I expect that the first couple of days will be rough? I basically started shaving off some time from my sessions yesterday and I woke up this morning with very hard breasts and one of them feeling particularly lumpy.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 10:09am

Hi there,

Hopefully I can help. I too am prone to clogs and have been trying to wean. I'm a first time EPer so I don't know everything but I can tell you what has helped me. For one, the dropping mins method didn't work at all for me and resulted in a bout of mastitis :( I switched to dropping pumps by adding as much time as I could physically handle between pumps and then pumping until completely dry - even if that was 25mins or more. I would recommend letting your body tell you when to move on. Once I drop a pump I wait until I no longer get the painful fullness before each pump before cutting again. Also, I started taking Lecithin supplements daily which I read are supposed to help with the clogs. I got the info from a published medical paper online and the Dr. recommended taking 1200 mg capsules 4x a day. I take them 2x a day and the clogs have never returned! Its magic and you can get the Lecithin from any place that sells vitamins etc! I'm now down to 2 pumps a day and I need to figure out where to go from here but I hope that helps you out.

N

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 11:33am

Thanks! That does help. Maybe that's a route I can take. I have been taking the Lecithin but only once a day so I'm definitely going to up my dosage.

How long has weaning taken you if you don't mind me asking?

Also, did you ever try cabbage leaves to help dry up the milk?

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 1:35pm
Glad I could offer a little help to you!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 2:30pm
I'm right there with you stuck at 2x per day trying to wean. I'm still getting some clogs but have been at 2x for about 2 weeks. Let me know what you do from here - I just can't imagine dropping another pump and lasting 24 hours between pumps. Scares me! I was thinking of cutting minutes on the evening pump from 20 to 15 to 10 then dropping it. Not sure how this would work though. I did buy some cabbage leaves.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 4:24pm
hahah I have cabbage in my fridge too!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 4:59pm
I know!!! I really didn't know it'd be this hard to stop or I would have started sooner. It's hard mentally to switch gears - I fought hard for my supply and now I'm fighting hard to end this. It may dwindle some more - I was getting 22 oz at first at 2x, now it's down to around 15-17 per day. My problem is just when I think I "regulate" and I lose the engorgement, I end up with a dang clog! And I did take lechithin 4x/day and still got clogs so sometimes I take it and sometimes I don't. I may stretch the time out too but I don't want to wake up during the night... Good luck :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 12:04am
Agreed, the mental battle was almost as tough as the actual supply/pumping/weaning! I was sad when I first started cutting down but now after all the clogs, I can't wait to be done. Good luck to you too, and if you
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 7:26am

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me contacting you again! I'm still a little confused about the weaning process. So I'm still at five pumps and I'm decreasing my minutes each day. Today I'm down to 12. But I'm getting a little confused. I still feel very full between pumps. Is this normal? Should I be feeling less and less full as I continue weaning? I know that it takes a couple of days for your body to adjust so is that just what's happening?

Also, should I be pumping based on the minutes or should I really just be pumping until I'm comfortable, even if that's less time than the 12 minutes or whatever I'm at for that day? I might be overthinking this, I just want to be sure I'm not continuing to encourage milk production.

-Kristina

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 10:22am

Hey! I'm going to jump in and answer you too as I'm weaning as well. I have continued to feel full for a couple of weeks but the initial pressure is gone - it doesn't sting and hurt but still looks engorged. What I found was my overall ounces didn't decrease much until I dropped the pump completely. Once I got down to 3x a day and continued to shave off minutes I started getting somewhere. But what's really done it is dropping to 2x a day and just keeping at 20 min per pump. At first I was getting 24 oz in the two pumps and now a week later I'm down to around 14oz in the same two pumps. I'm still a little "full and engorged" but when I pump it's different now, not as strong - not as much letdown so I'm close to being done. I'm just scared to go 24 hours between pumps but I may try it this weekend with cabbage leaves.

If you'd rather lose that full feeling, drop a couple of pumps in the next week. Then at the 3x per day you can empty completely until your body adjusts. It's hard shutting the production down. You can also take some sudafed which will help decrease the milk supply. I took it for a couple of days and it took the edge off.

Oh and if you'd rather just decrease minutes then you can quit pumping when you are comfortable enough and not go the full 12 minutes. Just listen to your body. Good luck!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 12:46pm

Hi there,

Don't mind that you contacted me again at all. The dropping minutes method didn't work at all for me and actually gave me lots of clogs because I wasn't draining all the milk out. I thought I could systematically stop by reducing the mins on a set schedule, boy was I wrong!

What worked best for me was to forget entirely about the mins and

Pages