Need to wean ASAP - Family emergency

iVillage Member
Need to wean ASAP - Family emergency
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 7:37pm

We are having to travel from Anchorage, AK to Whitehall, MI because of a family emergency. I have been giving my daughter expressed breastmilk exclusively since she was a week old.. and she is almost 4 months. Several weeks ago, I tried to mix ready-made Similac Advanced and breastmilk for her last bottle before bed, but she woke up having vomited in her crib. :( We haven't tried to mix since then. I need to switch her to formula by Thursday when we leave. Any advice?

I'm pretty set on switching to formula.. I'd rather not go into too many details, but I think it's best in this situation. :(

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 8:12pm
I might just do it like a bandaid. She'll throw up a few times at first but then hopefully adjust.
However, if you decide to do it slower I would be happy to give you some frozen milk. I live in Muskegon, MI. I could give you around 50 oz. I found out I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance about a month ago and dumped all my freezer stash at that point, so I don't have a ton. I have been thinking about giving this milk away anyway.
Email me if you are interested:
rorytubbs@yahoo.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 11:30pm
Hi I would not mix the bottles.. give one bm and one formula.. keep then seporate. but feed durring the day.. and to try up quickly use cabage leaves daily.