Pump, interrupted

iVillage Member
Pump, interrupted
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 3:33pm
I have a question- if during a pumping session you have to stop and feed or comfort your baby, do you ruin your supply or confuse your boobs if you keep going back to your pumping session? I just took an hour to do a 20 minute pump. First the baby was hungry and then he was cranky. I still pumped a good amount- 6 ounces...but it was over the course of an hour. Just wondering what you gals do and if this is OK.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 3:51pm

Hi!

As much as it may seem like it, I don't think bbs have a mind of their own. I don't think you can "confuse" them. :-) As long as you empty them to signal your body to make more bm, and pump regularly to signal your body that there is a demand for bm, I think you'll be OK.

Of course, it's not the "preferred" way, and we would all love to pump uninterrupted, but there are times we have to stop so don't worry.

HTH,
Christina
EPing for Nicky 11/6/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 7:40pm

First of all, I love the title for this post!!!

Second, I do what you descibe a fair amount. I asked Mindy about it a long time ago and she thought it was OK as long as you keep your pumping schedule and fully empty. It's sort of like having a breastfeeding baby that likes to "graze." I don't think my supply has been hurt as a result. Sometimes if I am having a "bad pump" and can't empty I do the same thing until my body responds better. I remember Chelle saying she would sometimes take a 10 minute break and then resume.

So, while it isn't ideal, I think it's OK--you just have to do what you can, you know?