Second pump

iVillage Member
Second pump
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 5:38am

Hello,

I am EPing for my baby boy, Toby. He is 11 weeks old, and thanks to this wonderful board, it is going really well. I am down to 5 pumps a day and getting 40oz. I am planning ahead for when I return to work. I will work from 9am to 5 pm, with an hours journey time each way. I thought that I wouldn't be able to pump at work. I have just bid for a whisperwear on ebay, as I think I will be able to discreetly pump with this in my lunch hour. I have read the review on this board about it and know that it doesn't have enough cycles per minute for EPing. I am planning on pumping 6am and 10pm with my PIS and use the whisperwear at lunchtime. Does anyone know whether this is likely to work without killing my supply? The way I saw it, 3 pumps a day has to be better than two, irrespective of whether I am using a whisperwear for one pump.

Does anyone have any experience of using a weaker pump for maintaining supply?

Thanks for any replies.

Love Tina

iVillage Member
In reply to: tinalem
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 1:02pm

I have the double (2)

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 1:25pm

Hi Corky,

Thanks so much for your reply. That was exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll use my PIS whenever possible, but am pleased that someone agrees that the WW will be better than nothing.

I've heard that it is far noisier than the name suggests. The thing that appeals is that it doesn't involve bottles, tubes and all that. All I will need to do is find a quiet corner and switch on when nobody is around to hear!

I'm just hoping I win the WW now...

Love Tina

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 6:45am

Tina,

Have you asked your employer for breaks and a clean, private place to pump?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 9:57am

Hiya,

Thanks for the thought. I only wish if lived in the US, if that is the case. I'm actually from the UK. Whilst it is deemed 'good policy' to allow women to pump at work, it isn't a legal requirement, I'm afraid. Pumping seems a lot less popular in the UK than it is in the US. I am the only person I know of EPing and most women I know who breast feed, are weening their babies at around 3 months! As there are so few women who do pump at work, they don't really do anything about it. I was either hoping to find a quiet corner, empty office or pump in the car!

Love Tina

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 10:57am
Can you pump in the car going to and from?

Katherine,

Mom to Maggie and William...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 7:18pm

Hi Katherine,

I wish I could. My DH, who is a police man, said I would be in a lot of trouble if I got stopped, so I'm apprehensive about it. I know people do it, but I don't think I'd be very good at driving with my bottles!!! I didn't get my WW on e-bay, so I've ordered a new one. I might use that to and from work and then at lunchtime too..... I'll let you know how I get on. I'll definately use my PIS whenevr I can though.

Isn't the symphony a hospital grade one? I would love one but when I began I thought it would be cheaper to buy one. Now that I've bought two pumps, I'm going to have to keep going for at least a year so I can justify all that expense!!

Thanks for the ideas.

Love Tina

Edited 4/12/2005 7:27 pm ET ET by tinalem